1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

elbow leaking on ram- replaced 3 already

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by johntab, Feb 22, 2007.

1. johntab

johntab Junior Member

I have a 20+ year old cable operated Western plow. The last 3 times I've plowed Iost pressure in my direction control due to leakage/breakage of the elbow on the ram. The brass breaks upon trying to remove the elbow and the remains are taken out with an easy out. The new elbow gets taped and re-installed. I've already broken one by overtightening it :realmad: so I am cautious about how tight I go.

Can I have the hole rethreaded for a larger size and put a reducer on it so that the 1/4" fittings will work with it or do I need to replace the ram?

Any suggestions?

2. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

just replace the ram so you dont waste anymore time fixing the old one

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

First off put the truck where you can put a floor jack under it and lift it till it hits the stops. I would think that the elbow is hitting something to cause it to loosen/break with operation. Find what it is hitting and adjust the stops or clear the obstruction. Replace with The steel elbows instead of the brass ones.

Jerre