1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

El Nino Sucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE, Dec 19, 2002.

1. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I bought my first plow truck last year and so far I've only got to use it two nights.This year I haven't got to use it at all (and my biggest accout is set up for 1" starting depth! I hate El Nino!
    Whaaaaaaa! :gunsfiring:

2. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

same thing in Minneapolis, We normally have at least 10" on the ground by now. So far nothing. You want to know how weird it is, we had thunderstorms yesterday. I've never seen that in December around here, especially the week before Christmas.

3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I got to say this years EL nino has been great . So far 3 pushes on the res and 4 on the comm with some salting in the middle. Im starting to think that all this hipe about it is bull. Last yr was not an EL NINO and they sead that we were going to get a lot of snow and we got squat, only 4 pushes on res and 6 on comm. I really think its just luck.

4. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger with the thunderstorms-we've had them the past two days.It's 55 degrees outside! I think mother nature skipped a few months on her calendar. (Northeast Indiana):mad:

5. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Well, the Weather Channel blames El Nino for all the snowfall occurring so far in the Great Lakes Region... albeit not a big Nino but still the effects from it.

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Here in British Columbia, I wouldve had at least 4 plowable snowfalls, but we have absolutely nothing. The temperature would make you think it was early september, and the chances of snow in the next 10 days: none. Anyone have a snowmaking machine for sale...I think I'll have to check out EBay.

7. bison1973

bison1973 Member

I feel your pain...

My first year trying to do this as a business. Bought a new plow a used salt spreader, spent money on advertising, etc. and no snow and none in the forecast and this is WISCONSIN. We had 7" on Oct. 21 (kind of strange) but it's brown around here now. Used the plow once. Big dissapointment so far.

8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I can feel your pain. Last year I only went out five times. This year is a different story, I've been out five times already. We've had 36" so far. It is almost 50 now, but it is suppose to cool down for the weekend.

9. dozer

dozer Junior Member

I also can feel your pain as I live also in the "NO SNOW ZONE" called northeast Indiana.(Fort Wayne area.) Did get to ice fish 2or 3 times,haven't been able to do that before christmas for couple of years. Was also able to get the harley out to do some of my last minute shopping done so 55 degree weather isn't all bad. Hang in there, we still have a few months to go. What town is Simone's lawn care in?

10. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Hey, at least I didn't jinx everybody this year:D .
    I bought my plow last year so I will take blame for last years lack of snow in the midwest.
    This year its somebody elses fault.

Mark K

I do think they're calling for something the first of next week but I wont hold my breath.

11. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Started out pretty good here, it was the first time we had plowable snow before Thanksgiving in about 8 years, but nothing since. It was 43 here today and calling for possibly high 50's tommorrow. Crazy. I think it should be called El Loco instead of El Nino :p

12. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Right here Speedracer!

Bought my plow this year. Watched 4 storms go JUST around us. Dump snow every where but us!
    Told my partner I'd sell my plow so we could get some snow.:drinkup:

13. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

If it was only 30 DEGREES colder!! Could of had about 14 inches but once again IL had to put up its protective DOME so no one could make any money to buy the wife and kids X-MAS presents! It seems we always get screwed and cant even count on the snow to make a living anymore. I know there has to be more DOMES out there. Well, we have to take it week by week.:waving:

14. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

Protective snow dome extends eastward to Indiana

MLB- I also live in Fort Wayne and watched the weather radar with tears welling up in my eyes as another winter storm went JUST south/east of us. Several guys I work with live in Decatur and were rubbing it in how "the guys at home were out plowing all night-you didn't get to go out?" You can imagine what my reply was :realmad: Oh well-I guess it has to snow sooner or later-doesn't it...?

15. long0

long0 Senior Member

#1 Plowtech,
    I though you were in a location where it snows?:cool: :D

Andy

16. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

This winter season has been very strange.... we had thunder and lightning where I live the other night It is weird to think that there has been no measurable snow yet and Christmas is next week. Tornadoes in December/ something fishy going on. It seems to me that we are in for this every year ahead, and it might only get worse. I too wonder where is the snow, hell I could get by with shorts and a sweatshirt now, and normally in Iowa in December it is usually around 15 degrees or lower. It may even extend the snow loss season into Feb. Maybe someday we can have some white stuff to play in.
    Bring on the snow, Hawkz

17. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Official start of winter?

I think that technically winter starts today or tomorrow doesn't it? 12/20 or12/21. I've been out twice on res. and 3 times comm. We were out doing leaves again yesterday. Man, plowing certainly is easier than chasing a blower around all day. Can I ask for two storms a week until March for christmas. That would be a nice paycheck.....two storms a week!!!!!

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My calendar shows official start of winter as Sunday 12/22. Katwalk, you can ask but...

Even the freezing rain we were supposed to get is a bust. I was figuring on getting calls for sanding. With temps in the 40s, not going to happen:( .