1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

el nin`o and la nin`a

Discussion in 'Weather' started by xtreem3d, Nov 18, 2007.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

can someone who knows .. explain the difference between the two and how each will affect us here in the states this winter. i think i'm hearing a la nin`a is just starting to develop but reading through it all is giving me a headache:eek:
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Expected La Niña impacts during November – January . For the contiguous United States, potential impacts include above average precipitation in the Northern Rockies, Northern California, and in southern and eastern regions of the Pacific Northwest. Below-average precipitation is expected across the southern tier, particularly in the southwestern and southeastern states..........,,,,,,
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  3. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

La Nina is an effect that is caused by the eastern pacific ocean around the equator being a little colder than normal. This colder water effects air temperatures and moisture across north america. The westerly winds caused by the pacific high pressure bring that air up across the united states. "reason why our jet stream goes west to east." This causes the midwest to be a little dryer than normal. The rockies and the other various parts of the country in the east usually experience a little more than average precip, while the southeast is usually a little warmer and drier.
  4. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I take meteorology at UNH. Usually La Nina means that the northeast gets normal temperatures but more precip and moisture.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

One makes you money and one makes you loose money!:dizzy:
  6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

STUPID LaNin'a :cry: