1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

eight foot blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tree33, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tree33

tree33 Junior Member

is a eight foot blade too big for a Chevy 3500 reg cab single rear wheels and 8 foot bed ? everyone around here uses seven and a half footer and says a eight footer is too large
  2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I know many people who use 9 feet on the 3500. Half tons use the 7 1/2 foot. Your truck is a one ton, it can use a 8 or 9.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Even a Blizzard 810. 7.5 is too small for a 1 ton.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No, not too big, thats what 3500's are made for!
  5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

I just put a 8'6" v plow on my f250. the 8' footer will be fine on that truck.
  6. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I have a 1989 Chevy 3500 reg cab SRW with an 8 foot plow on it.

Go 8 foot definately
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

An 8 footer will be just wonderbar....! I run a 9'2" V plow on my K3500, but I need the extra width for the duals. The truck would easily push a bigger blade than that.
  8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I run a few 87 GMC K2500 3/4 ton's with Western 8 foot PRO Plows without any problems. We also run a few 7.5 PRO Plows on the same type of truck and I don't notice any difference between the two when it comes to maintenance or drive-ability. The 7.5's a re a little easier to maneuver but the 8's move more snow! :nod:
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on your tire/wheel combination, a 7.5 footer may not even clear your front axle track width. It didn't on my old truck when I had a cheapie Meyer ST-90 on it.

I wouldn't go too much bigger than that though. 9' is large when you need to plow through a couple feet of snow.
  10. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I have an 8' Fisher straighblade on my 2500 3/4 ton truck and it handles it fine. Go with the 8' or 8'6" blade, your truck is made for it.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

agreed- your truck is fully capable of an 8', which is what should be on a single rear wheel full size truck. If your doing lots where your not manuvering alot (basically in big open spaces not driveways) you could easily go 8'6"-9' but that big gets dicy in driveways (most dways are only 8'6" wide).
  12. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

A 7.5 is fine for any truck, but a 3/4 ton or higher can handle bigger. ITS ONLY 6" more, like 3" on each side, I forget which plow is which when I look at them unless I have a tape measure on me. The 8' is better if its a wide truck, if your doing commercial lots, you probably wont clear the front tires if your wondrowing AND turning kinda tight, your gonna trail off into your own snow. I have a 7.5 and 8 and the 8 is much better for my superduty on commercial lots, the 7.5 is better on driveways and such, If I had to use only one, it would be the 8 hands down, dont even have to extend plow to either side to drive, leave her straight and go.......

DERBYDON Member

Bank Drive-throughs

If you contract any banks with a drive through, you will need at least one truck with a 7 1/2 to barely clear the ATM and drive through lanes. Lanes are always covered, but a blowing snow can drift right into the middle of the lane. Food for thought!
  14. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

8'2" is as small as I'd want.
  15. midview31

midview31 Junior Member

I just bought a 8' western poly pro ultra-mount for a GMC 1500 ext. cab. after reading this forum I called the installers (mounting this Friday) and ask about dropping to 7.5 ft.. The guy said no problem with this set up as long as I ballast behind the rear axle w/500 lbs. Probably won't need torsion adj or timbren buffers. nose should only drop 1.5".
  16. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

i only have a 7.5 on an f250. way too small. i am upping it to a 9
  17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

8ft is perfect for res and comm i wouldn't go much bigger if your doing both
  18. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Ballast and Grease, Grease, Grease

A little weight in the rear will do wonders and just grease the hell out of the front end. I typically grease every 1000 miles and and oil every 3000 miles. During the plow season..I grease once every time the plow hits the truck and oil every 2000 miles. My 2 cents.
  19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

8" is a great and common width. The only exception I can see would be the point about tight areas like drive throughs. I have a 7-6, but I use wings. This gives me an excellent width - even for transporting during a storm.