1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EGT, trans, engine, intake air temps on Cummins Dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JDiepstra, Nov 25, 2008.

1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

EGT, trans, engine, intake air temps on my Cummins Dodge

Hi guys. I was watching my Edge Juice with Attitude and other gauges while I was plowing this morning. It was just a light snow so now big deal but I was pretty happy with the numbers I was seeing.

Intake air temp got up to 80 for a short time but was usually in the 60's. Not bad considering there is a 9'2" plow blocking the grill.

Trans temps never went over 180 degrees. The highest I saw was on the highway going about 65. Coming off the highway the TC unlocked and it warmed up a bit. Like I said before, this was LIGHT plowing, so I expect higher temps in the future.

Crusing the highway EGT's hovered right around 600 and turbo boost was around 10 PSI. The plow definately required a little more boost to keep the truck at speed.

Engine temp never even hit the 200 mark.

Fuel PSI was hovering just under 10 on the highway.

Wasn't watching fuel psi, egt, or boost gauges while plowing. Nothing out of normal range.

Does anyone care? I can post more numbers through the season if anyone is interested in how our trucks compare.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

i care and thanks for posting up. i have an 06 CTD and you #'s sound right on. except my boost is about 5 on the hiway(like u said bc the plow and all) its higher.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, I liked your post so if you want to keep putting those numbers up as the season goes along that would be great.

I have very similar numbers to what you've got except my boost is higher than 10psi at highway speed. I don't know what would cause that but I don't think it's a big deal.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Have an 06 mostly stock. Love to install a Smarty jr or simular but I am leary of issues. Factory settings are great although plug and play is tempting. As of this weeked running down the HWy the truck was reading 24.6MPG !!!!! I sure don't want to mess with that ##.

As of now I've deleted the mufler, sillencing ring and gutted the tube! Any thing else I can do before an tuner???

DAFF

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I can get my gauge to read 99.9mpg ;) Those things are not accurate, you need to calculate your mileage the old fashioned way to know exactly what you're getting.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I can get 200 out of my trans temps :confused:

7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

no worries i see 200 all the time when towing

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Even long hand the MPG guage is accurate with in 5-10%. On the last tank the MPG average was 19.7MPG. That was including warm up time. Never less I am super happy with the truck.

9. JDiepstra

I wouldn't worry about that either. I am sure I will see it when I am plowing more snow.

10. JDiepstra

What air intake / filter are you running?

11. JDiepstra

Can you post a few details about your truck?

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Still have the factory stuff on the intake and air filter. Was going to swiss cheese the air box but not sure with all the winter driving. Snow will ofter infiltrate the engine compartment. Still love the sound of the turbo spooling up and the response of my six year old. "Daddy is that a jet under the hood???" Got to love the Cummins.

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Ive got gauges on 1 truck. I will post some numbers also, lets compare.

Is your truck stock otherwise?
    what stage were you on?
    My 2001 has guages, 4 in stainless exhaust, tranny (deeper pan, cooler, billet and shift kit) hyper tech stage 3 chip.

14. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Hell yeah.... Great information. I've got guages on my CTD too. Just haven't been able to read them while plowing (no snow yet).
    I'd be real pleased if I got similar results.

Thanks!

15. JDiepstra

Well, here's my mods... Edge Juice with Attitude, AFE Blade Runner, DPP Cool Red Hose, AFE PG7 in stock airbox with a 4" hole in the bottom and a hose running down for cooler air, HTS valve body, deep tranny pan, fuel psi and tranny temp gauges, train horns w/ 200 psi pump and 5 gal tank, Black H2 rims with 315's in the spring thru fall, pocket fender flares when the 315's are on, stock rims w 285's in winter. I think that's it.

16. JDiepstra

17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Same year and engine that you've got. It's a 3500 dually, auto trans, 4.10 rear end...completely stock.

18. JDiepstra

19. JDiepstra

oh yeah, and it's also an auto with 4.10's. not so good for fuel mileage on the highway!

20. JDiepstra