1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

effect of salt on vehicles?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by prestige10, May 9, 2010.

1. prestige10

prestige10 Junior Member

Hey guys... I havent started spreading yet but will be this year... anyways I was thinking about the effect of salt/liquids on the vehicle.... do any of you guys experience a lot of rusting or anything on your spreading vehicles?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film is your friend.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

has anyone used those devices you attach to your frame to stop rusting? theorhetically it should work

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Theoretically yes, but I know of two people with them, my uncle and myself. They were both installed by the dealer, GM. There not worth it, from what i have seen. My uncles truck rotted out ( lives upstate NY) My uncle paid extra for his. He took pictures of the rust and rot, and sent them to GM. GM paid to have the whole truck undercoated. It was so bad they removed the bed to paint everything.
    My truck had light surface rust, nothing major. I normally take the truck to the car wash after every storm, and spray everything with FF. I took my truck to Line-X in February to have the bed sprayed. I also paid to have the truck undercoated.
    I would wash down the whole truck, including the undercarriage after every storm. And coat it with FF. I think that is the only rust prevention. JMO

5. Cranky

Cranky Junior Member
    from Calgary

OT:

On an off-side, you might find a wild animal licking the side of your car for the salt.

Getting me curious, has anyone had something salt lick their vehicle?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a tree lick my plow once. Not sure if it was trying to get some salt, or what.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes, why we wash everything with Salt-a-way and coat them with fluid film.

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

.....:laughing::laughing:

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you think that is funny, but we were in Waterton national park, doing some hiking, and when we got back there was a crowd of people watching two goats destroy a rusty old car. turns out the couple who owned the car (i think they were from Ontario) had came back to their car, and these two goats were raming it, and licking at the rust that fell off. 100% true story, i even have pics somewhere of it. By the time a park warden showed up to deal with the goats, the car was a mess, they had to break a window to get into the car. (i always wondered if their insurance would cover something like that)

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't happen to me but a friend went hunting and parked his truck in their cow pasture and came back to the cows licking all the salt off it.

11. A.K_Donaldson

A.K_Donaldson Junior Member

Fuid Film

How long does a can of fluid film last and is it expensive to buy a case of it? Also ive seen guys using line ex or rhino liner along there rockers and door bottoms and along the bottom of the box and wheel wells.

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid film is great. Also wash with vinegar and water as often as possible. The vinegar will neutralize the salt as well as clean any rust that has started off.

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes i would highly highly avoid spreading salt with any type of vehical that you vale if at all possible. or atleast use a truck that can be repainted and welded on (aka dump truck) . its a night and day different between a salt truck and a plow truck. it doesnt seem like its doing anythign at first, espcially if you wash it all off. .... but 5 years down the road the evidence will show. all your break lines will begin to rust though, its not just the looks of the truck that start to go bad.

14. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I have noticed on our trucks that the wiring takes a heavy hit with salt.

15. Juice Induced

Juice Induced Member

Use geomelt 55!

GEOMELT 55 is an all natural, organic, corrosion inhibitor AND corrosion remover! As a matter of fact, take a look at RUSTBEETER. There are municipalities that coat their equipment's chassis, running gear and wiring harnesses with GEOMELT 55 deicer after each wash. Their results have been positive.

:waving: Beet JUICE INDUCED

16. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds like a Masingil commercial...........lol

17. dmontgomery

I have been coating the underside with Fluid Film before the season starts and once in the middle of the season for 5-6 years..... I don't not regularly wash the trucks off after storms. I have very little to no rust.....

I recommend the bulk FF......instead of the spray cans......it is much thicker

18. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

how do you go about bulk fluid film. Where do you buy and do you use a handheld sprayer like a chemical sprayer or something? I have cases of spray cans that I use for my mowers and trimmers, etc. but would rather not spend a day emptying spray cans under the truck if ya know what I mean.

19. dmontgomery

I use a $20 undercoating sprayer and my air compressor......I buy FF in the 5 gal buckets

20. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

how does fluid film work? is it like a paint or clear coat or is it more like a rhino liner kind of material. got my truck up on the lift now so wanting to do some work on the frame why while i can see it really good. it is in pretty good shape but with the salt i dont expect it to stay in such great shape. i noticed lowes sell like undercoat for vehicles frames and such. anybody know the difference between something like that and fluid film? i was just planning on scuffing up the frame and primering and painting, letting it dry and then using some of the truck undercoat spray cans.