1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Effecient path/route through a lot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by danielboone, Nov 5, 2011.

1. danielboone

danielboone Junior Member

My first question is whether there is a better term you guys in the industry use regarding the approach or technique to clear a parking lot? If so I would like to search for this term since I could see this being a common question for newbies. Obviously I am very new to this and would like to do it right in the beginning and be as efficient as possible. It is likely this bank will be one of my lots as a sub. I don't yet know where the snow needs to be pushed to, but it might be safe to say the corners furthest from the building? I am looking for step 1 maybe you enter from the South side & run with the entire outer perimeter with blade angled to push the snow to the outside? Step 2 would be? Step 3 would be? etc. If you can't tell from the picture there is an entrance from the top and the bottom. I am sure the technique will vary depending on the snow depth. I need to get my signature updated. I have an F250 Diesel with a Meyer 8' and wings available pushing it to 10'.

Attached Files:

• bank.bmp
      File size:
      795.5 KB
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First thing to remember,you plow may not fit through the drive thu.
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'd windrow that from inside to outside and clean up the corners.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You might want to think about joining SIMA....They have some Very Good Videos and other information that could really beneficial to you and your Business....
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's true.
    Use Grandview as a referral and they will give you 50.00 off your membership.
  6. danielboone

I drove past & through this particular lot this weekend. It seems like a pretty good one to get started with. Nothing too crazy.

The drive through lanes for the most part are covered. I would think a little bit of back dragging should be able to get most of the snow.

So do you really think it would be worth the extra expense to join SIMA in order to see their videos? Other than a source for training videos I honestly don't have much interest in this association at this early stage of snow plowing. It looks like a regular membership is $180, minus the "Grandview Discount" knocks it down to $130. I am trying to watch my expenses closely so I can actually make a profit. I can tell you $130 would not sound like much when it is 2am and I am thoroughly frustrated because I don't know what I am doing. I don't want to say if I only would have watched those videos.
  7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

hahah. Well one thing with plowing is, You cant just take a written test and hop in the truck and know all of your tricks for pushing snow. Honestly im not a member of SIMA but i am a Member of MGIA. They are all the same, show you a couple things but really its not gonna really make or break you. The best thing to do is become friends with fellow plow drivers in your area. Ever since i was 19 (now 37) i have made alot of business buddies. These are the guys who i can call at 2AM (middle of a snowstorm) and ask any question. And they do the same! So i wouldnt worry about SIMA if you arent 100% for it.
  8. danielboone

I do know several guys who either currently plow or at least used to plow. I wish I would have ridden along with them for a night or two last year. I might consider doing it this year, but the problem is that we will probably both have our own plowing obligations at the same time. I might see if I can talk one of these former guys into riding with me on my first day doing it. I will keep reading as much as I can. Some videos would be nice also. You can't get experience without getting out there so the best preparation I can get is to get book smart until I can get the more valuable experience under my belt.
  9. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

After you do it a couple of times you should have it figured out enough to do it efficiently. I would break the lot down into say 4 sections and of course push to outside and corners. Its called ojt. I believe we probably all learned that way.
  10. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

try youtube--lots of plowing vids there