1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Education - UTI

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Arrow, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Arrow

Arrow Junior Member

Education - UTI
    I would like some opionion on a school my son is considering. He will be graduating in May 04 and we had a presentation last night on UTI, Universial Technical Institute. Seems like a good program but i would like to know from people in the Auto Industry what you think about it?
    Thanks
    Arrow

2. Perkin50

Perkin50 Junior Member

I don't know much about UTI but I graduated from a college with an Associates Degree in Automotive service Technology. I would not attend a school that offers just a certificate and not a degree. The reason is what if after working on cars for a couple of years you son doesn't like it. He is pretty limited with a certificate. I worked on cars for three years before moving on into research and development. I work for major corporation as an engineering technician were I build and test differentials at the proving grounds. I would have never been able to get this job without an Associates Degree. Also, I am working on a Bachelors degree which will open up even more opportunities within my current position and I can also teach college level automotive with my Bachelors degree if I choose. I would suggest that your son attend a school that offers a degree which will allow him to build on. And you may also want to check and see if the school your considering will transfer to other schools. :)

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with perkin, the Associates degree does help. I went to Wyoming Tech and absolutely loved it. I learned so much and have the option to go back to school at any time for free. Since I live in Indiana and am now married, going 1000 miles back to school seems unlikely.

UTI is a great school. I know a few people who went there. I don't know what "added"programs they have in regards to an associates program but it is something I would look into. If he is also looking at Wyoming Tech, have him send me an Email and I will talk all day long about it if he wants.

4. Arrow

Arrow Junior Member

Thanks for your input. We live in Ft. Collins and were thinking about Wy Tec, but I think he decided on UTI. It will earn him an Associates degree which is one of my requirments. Sound like a good program. Plow miester, you say you went to Wy. Tec. That was my first choice because it is a lot closer to home. Could you give me a good reason to there instead of UTI?
    Again thanks for you input.

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I really wish I could help you with that question. I think WTI is more 'commercialized' than UTI. Therefore, it may be a more accepted school and have more money to spend on educational tools and experienced instructors. Other than that, I can't help you since I know very little about UTI. I do feel that I recieved a great education from Wyo Tech. I could have gone to Lincoln Tech or UTI but I wanted to 'get away'. Since Ft. Collins is only 70 miles from Laramie, it would be very easy to go check the school out. Your son probably wants to go to UTI so he can go away to school and not worry about the folks asking him to come home every weekend or making suprise visits to school. There is a lot to do in Laramie but not when I went there (1990). I went back to Wyo Tech a couple years ago because I was passing through town and WOW! The town has grown 1000%.