1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Education and Training

Discussion in 'Snow & Ice Management Association - SIMA' started by SIMASTAFF, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SIMASTAFF

SIMASTAFF Sponsor
    from Midwest

As the association for snow professionals, we are always seeking input into education and training that could benefit our industry. Please post any thoughts related to education you've seen in the past that was helpful, or ideas you'd like to see happen in the future.

2. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

idk if this is what your looking for, but I personally could use some education on at what temperatures different salt and chemicals work to melt ice, snow, etc, and how long they take to start, and complete.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

More stuff in Canada

4. SIMASTAFF

SIMASTAFF Sponsor
    from Midwest

Temps for Deicing

dakotasrock
    That is a great suggestion...we do have some of that information available in our members-only section of our site, the info is actually take directly from our Certified Snow Professional study guides. Covers the basic chemicals out there, as well as where they are effective etc.

We have a webinar that is coming up on March 19th that deals with the liquid side of things, and some of that temperature info will most likely be incorporated...and finally we do have a training video, called Basic Principles of Ice Control, that has a lot of that info as well.

Any other thoughts on this topic, and how you think such information could be best communicated to people (whether a live session, online, or some other format), please let me know.

Lynden-Jeff
    I agree, our current board president is actually a Canadian contractor, and he is really pushing for more involvement and education in Canada. Our Executive Director, Martin Tirado, is also very serious about offering more to Canadian members. We are working with an association up there called Landscape Ontario to offer good more in Canada...for example, we are in the process of finalizing our Canadian version of the CSP program, which takes into account the difference in law/government between the US and Canada, as well as the differences between the metric system and american. We are also trying to work with them for their annual snow training full day seminar next fall. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know

Brian

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I just joined SIMA last week. I am very impressed with the association. Our company is from Quebec, even though we are part of Canada, our provincial laws are very different. Are there any plans to work with Quebec associations? We belong to 2 of them. "Groupex" and "APPQ". It would be a tremendous asset if you could. Snow and Ice management in the province of Quebec is huge.
    Paul

6. SIMASTAFF

SIMASTAFF Sponsor
    from Midwest

SIMA -- Quebec

Paul,
    Great to have you as a member! In regards to your other post about the free video, Heather in our office will be contacting you soon with more info, okay?

Related to Quebec...you raise some good points...currently our presence in Quebec is quite limited, and we would like to grow there, as part of our overall goal to grow in Canada...we work closely with Landscape Ontario in Ontario, and I think we could start looking at partnering with some of the associations you mentioned below...is there anyone you would recommend we speak with in regards to getting in touch with them? Let me know, thanks!
    Brian