1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ediot here, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by steveo, Dec 30, 2008.

1. steveo

steveo Junior Member

hello gents- im new to this so be patient.......im purchasing an ext. p/u truck for convience b/c i do alot of work around my house. however, i thought of doing some small jobs plowing.....im not going on the highway in blizzard. i live in NJ and may start to do side jobs to keep busy when im off school- im a teacher.........i realize there are some fanatics on this site, but i just need advice on what is the best bang for my buck.....i will also use this truck to drive to work so i would prefer a v6, however being new to this business idk if this is possible- forgive me for me being incompetent. what do you recommend......pls help...and it has to be a used vehicle

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

oooookay we get this a lot. Yes you can plow with a V6. You can also plow with 2wd but it will be a nightmare. If you're just droing drives in New Jersey you will be fine with something along the lines of a V6 Ranger or a Dakota with 4x4. As far as plows go, the options are endless. Its best to go with a company that has a dealer close to you. Fisher, Boss, Meyer, and most of the big names all make a "personal" snowplow that I think would fit your needs. A snoway would be perfect but they are pricey. I could even dare to recomend a Snowbear, as long as you dont mind getting out of the truck to reangle the plow. Read up on this site and you will learn a lot. Don't be afraid to ask

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You need find old F150 or Bronco from 80 to 96 since they have 300 4.9L 6 cylinder straight.

They will get 13-23 mpg on vary drivers. I have 2 trucks with 4.9L I get 14-19 mpg.

I am not sure if 97 and after F150 have V6 4.2L with 4x4 but hard to find.

4. steveo

steveo Junior Member

wow man thanks alot, ive researched for about 3 hrs and came on to this site and your knowledge in 10 minute has really helped me out............great so narrowed my truck choice down, so definetly get 4x4! and v6 is fine- awesome! and hypotheically b/c my wife works for a big company and sub's plowing out- with this truck with the 4x4 and v6 i would be fine? i dont think i would want to get out to deangle a plow in ****** weather, ill pass on that.......i see there's different sizes of plows, wht would you recommend? and if you can give me a round about cost of adding a plow to a truck, wht would you say? does this addition of the plow negate the manufacturers warranty??? wt type of insurance do you need? or do you need if ins. if your only doing small jobs.........once again, thank you very much

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Ok, for a small truck like that the max size is gonna be about 7'6". you absolutely need liability insurance. Adding a plow can be very expensive if you go new and yes it can void the waranty, always check on that. Look for a used plow and you can save a lot of money. There is a used equipment forum on here. Look around on different manufacturers websites and find a plow that you like, and then look for a used one. I I spent about $1000 on my plow and $1000 on wiring, but I installed it all myself. On most sites you just use an "easy match" system and it will yell you what plows will work on your truck. Oh btw, buy the truck before you get the plow lol. I'm sure you knew that but just making sure.

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

why do i get the feeling a couple drive ways is now turning into a couple small parking lot's ?
    if you plan on doing any commercial lot's you need a bigger truck !

if your just planning on a few driveways then dis regard my post.

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Just get the truck thats right for you. Just cause its a V6 doesnt mean it will be good on gas if thats your reasoning. An example would be a Cherokee with an inline 6 in that gets about the same as a 1500 V8 gas wise. Get a diesel and you will see good mileage as well. Think about what you want to do with the truck you buy and how manueverable you need. A Jeep Wrangler is good to plow tight stuff where a full size truck is better for heavier longer stuff.

8. steveo

steveo Junior Member

so what type of truck would you need to do a few parking lots................and am i wrong but a truck with a v6 is better on gas then one with a v8.........isnt the price of deisel about a dollar more a gallon than gas.......listen im a city boy who didnt grow up with trucks. actually this is gonna be my 1st truck purchase...yippppppy im now a true red-neck, so my point being is please let me know the low down on all this info that you guys have

9. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

the problem with the v six is that you are going to work the heck out of it with plow / ballast, you will ware everything out faster and use more gas.

10. steveo

steveo Junior Member

ok, so better off getting the v8 just in case a few jobs come up with shopping parking lots......the v8 wont wear as the v6........as far as the gas situation goes, im concerned about daily use driven 50 miles per day to work........im not worried about burning more gas plowing, but im sure the wear and tear with the v6 is more detrimental, am i right? so correct me if im wrong, with the v8 you can parking lots? and how many per storm would u consider the wear and tear being unnacceptable......i know it's impossible to tell me details, but an estimate would be great

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

im not a red neck either , i grew up 1/2 hour from Chicago all though i was born in Arkansas so maybe i am :confused:

anyway , if your going to do commercial work you need a truck that will stand up to the abuse. even small parking lot's will have hidden curbs , parking blocks and my personal favorite ... man hole covers that are raised up a few inches. you can push snow with a V6. the problem is the truck attached to the v6 can't handle the abuse of commercial plowing. if you want to do it right , grab a 2500 or F250 . throw an 8 foot western or what ever other plow you can get parts for at 4 am and have at it.

i tried the cheap rout , i tried to make a smaller truck into a plow truck . if you add up the money i spent on my first truck + repairs i could have bought the correct truck in the first place.

12. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

well you can get away witha half ton truck for lots but it is alot of wear on them
    find a used ford or chevy 250 2500 4x4 they run for plenty of miles and alot of people dumped them with gas prices and no money to pull their big campers
    then an 8 foot and your in style for lots and you have a hell of a nice truck that wont fall apart
    stick with the good brand with a shop close to you then buy a used one
    I use meyer but dont get these guys started on whats best
    wiring done yourself can be tricky if you are not technical
    cost you about 4-6 hundred to have installed
    stick with meyer boss western

13. steveo

steveo Junior Member

Great!!! anyone else have opinions or comments pls let me know.......the only thing im worried about is this truck is going to be used for daily driving and with the v8 gas can kill me, especially if it goes back up.....who the hell knows whats going to happen.........and let's say it snow's 2x's this year, it definetly is not worth it.....i guess it's always a risk though

14. nekos

nekos Senior Member

whats more expensive , a bent frame because you hit a curb or $2.50 per gallon ?

you can plow a parking lot with this if you want ... http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pedal-powered-snowplow.jpg it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do .

sorry im not telling you what you want to hear . me personally , i don't care what you plow with but if you pull up in a lot next to me in a ranger i will inform my rout manager to get the sales reps out to your lot ASAP. it's only a matter of time until you break down and i get my commission ! payup

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  15. steveo

steveo Junior Member

no, thanks man i appreciate the honesty and your knowledge, where can i find information of current rates for plowing and in the NJ area..........im sure rates depend on the area, im sure ours are xpensive bc NJ blows leads the nation in auto ins., taxes, etc.................im also looking for how to bid on jobs, etc.......... how competitive is this industry, and what else can you tell me.....im looking to start up next winter, so im starting research now so i know what to expect

16. nekos

nekos Senior Member

if you sub im sure you will be getting in the $75 per hour range but it's better to ask the guys in your neck of the woods. they would know better then me .

as for how competitive this industry is ... i wasn't joking when i said i would have a sales rep at your lot the next morning if i saw you broken down . i get 3% of that contract if they dump you and sign a contract with the company i work for. more then 1 lot on my route has been taken from smaller contractors making excuses why they couldn't finish the job on time.

:edit:
    im not trying to be a ( insert bad word ) but i have made the mistake you are or were about to. if you do get into the snow removal business, a few years from now you will be saying the same thing to some one asking the same questions you are now.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  17. steveo

steveo Junior Member

what do you mean about the edit part..................about if i get into the snow removal business.........i dont understand you

18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

what i mean is if you get into snow removal a few years from now some one will ask you if they can plow commercial lot's with a small truck.

19. steveo

steveo Junior Member

ohhh gotcha, well im going to go out with a guy who works with a facilities company and do some plowing, this way i know what the job entails! it seems fun, and i love the snow, to me it dont seem like work.....im sure this will change......so hypothically speaking having one truck, how many jobs can you do it a snow fall of like 3-6 inches? this might be a vague ? but im doing some research and seems like many people have numerous trucks!!!! lol im also learning about different styles of plowing! holy cow didnt know it was complicated..................i guess every job is an art of its own

20. steveo

steveo Junior Member

hey nekos im doing some research again, and it seems people in the plowing business do chem and fert. in the spring??? is this true?? do you do any, what does it entail, etcbb