1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Edge wont push snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john r, Sep 29, 2001.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

When I bought my 88 F350 it came with a meyer 7.5 plow. It also came with about an 8 inch suspension lift, dual shocks, helper springs, urathane bushings, more. Its a work truck so I liked the idea that it could carry more load and when necessary go through some real deep snow due to the added lift.
    Well it finally snowed and put the truck in service. Everything worked fine except when the the plow is left or right approx. 1 to 2 feett in from the outer edge doesn't contact the ground. The mount is standard to the frame. The only thing I could think of is due to the lift it has an effect on the outer edge. Has anyone seen this happen before? Thanks, John Reich
  2. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

The a-frame must be parallel to the ground. The plow was probably installed prior to the suspension lift. You will have to lower the plow mount.
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Pat is right. Since the truck has been lifted 8", the plow mount needs to be lowered 8". Not only that, if the tires are larger than stock, which I would guess they are, then you need to compensate for that as well. Stock on that truck, I believe was about 31" tall. So if you are running say 36" tires, your plow frame needs to be lowered about 13".

I have seen quite a few trucks with a custom lowered plow mount. They look funny, but work. Most of the guys that run them, remove the lower mount in the spring, and put it back on in the fall.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

In order for the plow to trip correctly is another reason to have the plow level. If not you could damaged the plow or the vehicle. I have done lowered mounts for lifted vehicles. Be sure to have the job done by a compentent welder. Avoid welding extensions to the A-frame. A strong extension should be added to the vehicle side.