1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Edge replacement - can I just use a pc of steel

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Smitty58, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I noticed today that my edge is shot so I need to replace it. I know I can buy one that just bolts on ,but it would be cheaper to just put a 3/8 x 6" piece of steel on it. Is this ok or is there something different about a new edge? I have a Western 8' pro plow. Also is there any benefit to a rubber or poly edge over a steel?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The cutting edges are high carbon steel. Very hard and long lasting. Try searching snow plow parts on the internet. Most places will have the edge cheaper then going to the plow dealer. Around my area we have a bunch of non-OEM parts dealers.

3. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

I just replaced mine for $120.Not worth the trouble to fabricate in my opinion.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Steel will disappear like butter, you need to get a hardened cutting edge, and don't forget to get new bolts to put it on with.

Rubber is used with shoes and typically used with pusher boxes. great for slush bad with hardpack.

Poly is quieter and easier on pavers, hard to find, can't think of any disadvantages.

5. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

just regular ol' steel wouldn't last through a night!

last time I needed a new edge, I took a used blade from a 10' Monroe plow, cut it to fit my plow, and welded it on to what was left of my cutting edge. it's so beefy, I expect to get a couple of years out of it

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You guys are no fun. Sure go ahead, use regular steel, just make sure you have 3 or 4.

For the first night. At least.

7. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Yah, been there done that...I made my own a couple years ago. Needless to say it lasted the season, by the time i paid the $50 and used my mag drill to boar the holes it wasn't worth it. Just buy one

8. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

T-1 tool steel should hold up? Shouldn't it. If so I was going to make one or two out of 1/2" material for my Hiniker.

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I used steel last year 1/2 x6 and it held up for the season but it wasn't going to last another season. So I bought a new cutting edge from my dealer 120.00.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have an older 12 ft blade and we just weld on a 3/4"x6"peice of steel. It lasts about 150 hrs. I'd like a bolt on edge but the blade is homemade and it's easier just to weld a new one on every year or two.

11. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I called my local Western dealer and had them order me one (didn't have it in stock). Cost me $81 with new bolts so I guess that answers the question.
    Thanks for the help ,if I had not read a different thread here about cutting edges I would not have even thought about it. Mine has about 1/2" left on it.

12. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Laugh all you want but after my oem cutting edge is gone i use 1/2"x 6" steel flat i have been doing this since 1994 and costs 65 to 69 bucks for a 10 foot stick, lasts over 1-1/2 years and we plow a ton of accounts here in mankato. I use the edge im taking off as a template and clamp it to the new piece of stock and use a torch to smoke the 10 holes thru and reinstall. Its easy and quick and saves $.