1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

edge for a tractor blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Jan 24, 2001.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

i have an 18.5 hp tractor with a 4ft blade on it. The edge is worn and im want to look at my options for replaceing it. I have talked to Dino about a U blade, still working on how it will fit. Anyone with a similar tractor have any advice? I talked to the dealer but they said they dont carry such an idem. I plow sidewalks (helps alot on the big commercials) and driveways with this tractor. Thanks for any advice.

-Nick

2. sam c

sam c Member

If weight is not a big factor you can buy an 8' snow plow edge and cut it in half and bolt it on,then you`ll have a replacement ready with the extra piece. Also those blades are so light the added weight should help it scrape better. I have a 5' on an old farmall and it works great! good luck

3. columbiaplower

how thick is the edge u use?

4. columbiaplower

any other ideas?

5. sam c

sam c Member

I have a 5/8" but my tractor has hydro lift and down pressure so the weight is not an issue.

6. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I ordered a U edge for my 54" tractor blade from CPW?(Central Parts Warehouse?) They made it 1 inch thick and the dimentions I asked for. 3" wide 54' long. It cost about $55.00 with shipping to my house. Otherwise you can go to any blacksmith and they will cut you what you need. I did this for a long time. I would drill the holes myself. It was very cheap, about $3.00 a blade.

7. Dusty

Dusty Member

A premium cutting edge is made of hardend steel and cannot be drilled, but can be "holed" with a torch. I believe that the cutting edge on that blade is mild steel and can be made from any stock that you find. I would prefer it since you do sidewalks and I don't think that the wear is much of a factor. Probably once a year replacement. If you find a better replacement, please post it here. I can use one for my 48" snow blower. thanks