1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Edge Evolution

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FordFisherman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Anybody run the edge evolution in their 5.4 gas? What can I expect for performance/ mileage increase?

2. bry03

bry03 Junior Member

I sold one to a friend, he got 1 to 2 miles to a gal more depending on how he drove it. holds shift points longer and takes out the speed limter, over all he liked it... hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. FordFisherman

from 06611

Anybody else use it?

4. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Had one in my 03 f350 but it was diesel,it made a big difference to me,on level 4 it wouldn't stop burning rubber,fuel mileage went up also.

5. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks Jay. I've heard that diesels turn into monsters with the chip, but I'm wondering if its worth the money for a gas motor.

6. svt2205

svt2205 Member

There are a handful of top notch custom tuners who can give you performance gains along with mileage gains. One I'd recommend, if you're tuner of choice is the Edge, is Bill. Check out his site at www.customtune.me or if you like the SCT XCal 2 or 3's, I would consider VMP Tuning www.vmptuning.com or Troyer Performance www.troyerperformance.com

These 3 are truly the best out there, just expect a 3 month wait if you go with Troyer.

7. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks for the info. The edge 5.4 is only for the f-150; it won't "read" the 250 or 350 5.4.

8. svt2205

svt2205 Member

Hmm, didn't know that. I've heard custom tuning was the way to go, especially if you have any aftermarket items like cold air intakes.

9. r_d337

r_d337 Junior Member

I would say stay away from the Evolution. I had one in my 4.6 liter F-150 for about 4 months, till it fried my ECM. In the process it also messed up some sensors. When it was all said and done it was a $2000 bill. While the Edge Evolution was working I will say the truck shifted better, the shifts were crisper and better placed. Other then that I noticed no improvement in MPG or performance. Now if you are talking Diesel trucks thats a totally different story, they can really benefit from a programmer, but you need to be careful.