1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Edelbrocks or Bilstein?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by E&M, Nov 18, 2009.

1. E&M

E&M Junior Member

I am gonna upgrade my shocks this year, does any one know which ones are better Edelbrocks or Bilstein? i would also like to know if i have to upgrade the timbrens since i want to lift the truck when i put them on? i have a GMC 2500HD with a Western 8'6 v plow on it.
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I havent tried edlebrocks but I always upgrade to bilstiens because they are a great shock!
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Either choice is good. And I can tell you the Edelbrocks are a bit stiffer in the front and a little softer in the rear than the Bilsteins are on the same application.

Lift the truck how? And how much?
  4. E&M

E&M Junior Member

i wanted to crank up the torsion bars about 3-5 inch, put shocks and the timbrens if necessary.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You won't get 3-5" out of your tbars, even if you could it would destroy the front end of your truck and ride like a lumber wagon.

You probably could get 2" but the ride will be pretty rough and you'll go thru front end parts quickly, along with it being hard on the cv joints.
  6. E&M

E&M Junior Member

ok so i should cranck up the torsion bars 2'' put the shocks and would it b necessary to put timbrens?
  7. E&M

E&M Junior Member

or with the shocks is enough to keep my plow lifted?
  8. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The shocks won't keep your plow lifted. The general consensus of what works on these trucks with plows is: raise the front end with the torsion keys, but leave at least a 3/4 inch gap between the upper control arm and the droop stop, when the truck is on the ground. Don't over crank the torsion bars, because in a stock application, the shock will be fully extended before the UCA contacts the droop stop. Add timbrens to the front end to supplement the torsion bars and keep your front end from squatting when the plow is raised.
  9. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I stated that wrong. Raise the truck with a jack when you tighten the torsion key bolts - then lower it to the ground to see how much UCA/bump clearance you have. Depending on which torsion bars you have, it might only take 3 full turns to get the lift you want, or you might have to go until there are no threads left on the bolts. But spray with PB blaster before, to loosen things up.

Shock extensions will help you get a little more wheel travel, but Bilstein makes a line (5100, I think) specifically for a torsion bar raise - they give you 2 inches more shock travel.
  10. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The lifted Bilstein part number is: BE5-D146-H0
    The standard Bilstein part number is: F4-BE5-6081-H0
  11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I put green keys up front and 2" blocks in the rear with bilstein 5100 shocks on all 4 corners and the truck rides like a caddy. I have had bilsteins on my past 3 trucks and love um!