1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Economical lighting

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by tthomass, Oct 16, 2010.

1. tthomass

tthomass Junior Member

I'm not interested in how much I can look like a Christmas Tree or bragging rights to other trucks that I have more and more expensive lights.

I've got (2) GMC 6500's and a 4500 to equip. I'm looking for function and something that isn't going to be dead after a storm. I'm torn between rotators, strobes and LED's.

What are a couple of the best bang for the buck lights available that are recommended? Thanks for your help.
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

ultimately, bang for the buck would prolly be the voltex bars on ebay. made in china, but we have 2 of them and they work great and are definitely bright. i paid $180 for my 27" bar and $250 for a 37" bar. now the 37" has an issue with one of the led modules partially lighting. there are a few other guys on here that run them, though ive noticed they increased their prices.

i just ordered two soundoff pinnacles from lonestar for 480 shipped. these are a name brand bar and have excellent reviews. these two will be mounted on a backrack on our 06 350.

if i were you id definitely go with led, they are more shock resistant, less draw and are supposed to last a long time.

here is a vid of the 37" bar on our silverado, and a pic of the controller for it. the center 2 modules are white takedowns and sides are white alleys.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

4. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Check ebay for a whelen mini edge. You can easily pick one up for under $200.
  6. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

Hey Protouch,
    Which Cobra CB model is that you have mounted in your picture? looks nice and compact to fit in that hole. i am looking for a nice compact one to replace my current radio.

sorry OP, a little off topic, but my .02 on your situation would be that LED is really nice, but on a big truck with lots of electrical capacity, a rotator does a great job of getting attention, and they have a lot of pop for the money. the whelen listed by one of the other guys here from sirenet is a great unit.
  7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i think its the ltd25 classic. theres more to it behind the panel, just that all the knobs and screens ended up fitting through the opening. there used to be a cassette player there.

just got a new cobra ltd29 that i need to install in our 06 f350

i was told that cobra makes a unit where all the controls are in the mic, and you just mount the unit with speaker up under your dash.
  8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

whelen guardian rotator is what I have. Very bright, and cheap. Also it's just a halogen bulb if something burns out. It's what Alaska Boss runs too, that's what made me go and get one.
  9. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

I just heard abouut that unit as well, and think i might give it a try...i really want the cobra 29lt bt wx nw, but its just too big i think
  10. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Stick with the 29ltd classic. Weather is nice, but the bt is kind of a joke. QC went downhill when they started using microprocessors on their board in place of transistors and resistors IMO.