1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Economic impact on pricing?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Mick, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There is quite a bit of speculation that our economy will experience a period of "deflation" - generally falling prices. This is currently mostly in manufacturing (rebates on trucks is an example of this) which is affected by overseas competition but can spread to services such a snowplowing. My question is - Has anyone experienced lower prices in any areas (equipment, supplies etc) and would this play a part in setting prices for the upcoming season? Will anyone be pricing jobs lower this year than in the past?

2. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I'm not looking to really raise prices that much, but then again, I'm trying to gain market share. I guess it would depend on what one was trying to do with their business.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

So far, what's up far outwieghs what's lower. Fuel prices, equipment, INSURANCE!, TAXES!! and wages are all up, I can't think of anything significant that's lower in my business.

I'll review pricing a bit closer to the season, but I don't expect to lower prices.

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto Pelican! I have seen some price decreases in landscape materials from that end of the biz. Haven't seen anything that pertains to my snowplowing side of the biz come down.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Costs going up and up and up,no way are we dropping prices.That happened years ago around here with salting,and we have never been able to get prices back up to where they should be.

6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I've tried to maintain a stable pricing structure for the last few years

But thats all changing now....

Insurance is up,

Gas is Up

My property taxes just went up almost 10%

:realmad:

and John Q. Public expects me to plow for nothing!!!!

NO WAY JOSE!!! :nono: :nono: :nono:

I am raising my prices to circumvent the recent upward spiral of my cost to do business.