1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ecoboost torture test

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by UpstateServices, Dec 21, 2011.

1. UpstateServices

UpstateServices Junior Member

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I've driven an F-150 (Super Crew, King Ranch, 4x4) with the Ecoboost and it's one amazing motor. I'm not so sure it would work as well in a Super Duty though. We're talking a lot more weight to haul around.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The weaker 5.4 did it for 11 years.
  4. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I left Ford and bought a Chevy because the half ton had the 5.4 and I am not a fan. This may be the engine to bring me back after some years of proving itself.
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Even the new 5.0 is a TON more powerful and quick than the 5.4 was.
  6. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

Yea, The EcoBoost is an awesome motor. My buddy has a f250 with the 5.4 and its the worst on power I've ever seen. I have a 32 Ft. boat and that 5.4 struggled to pull it.

I then towed it with my other buddy's 6.0 Chevy and was way more impressed at the power.

I'd love to see what the new EcoBoost would be like in a F250 or what there new 6.2 motor is like for power.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I had a 95 F150 5.0 at one point and never considered owning another one because I'm not into 1/2 tons, but this new Ecoboost has me rethinking that.
  8. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I have close to 6k on mine and am loving it. Its a great truck with tons of power and great fuel economy. Ford really outdid themselves IMO with the design of the truck inside and out. It has more room inside than my 3/4 ton Dodge QC had and being 6'4/285lbs that means everything. I couldn't imagine this motor in a 3/4 ton truck, and if they did it I would be buying one for sure.
  9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What would keep them from putting similar technology on the 6.2 or 5.0 to get better MPG with those engines in a super duty?
  10. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

That is impressive! Never been a Ford guy, and thought I was beyond half tons, but, boy after seeing that, it might be worth thinking about!
  11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

True, but remember, folks complained about the lack of power in 5.4 liter powered SD's for all 11 years. Anybody really serious about power bought the V-10 or a diesel.
  12. meborder

meborder Senior Member

Something to keep in mind, they are calling the f150 a half ton. if you compare it to a mid 90's f250, though, it is wider, taller, weighs more, hauls more, and tows more than it's older big sibling.

the new half tons are quite a truck, no doubt. there are some rublings about an ecoboost 5.0 sometime in the future, aimed at the 3/4 ton and up market.

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

All i can say is HOLY F@@##$$ that thing isincredible . I also have been told there is a 6.4 EccoBoost Deisel if I am correct