1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Eco Salt - de icer?????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by M & MD Lawn, Aug 7, 2011.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I was searching the forum and was looking for a salt supplier here in indianapolis, I saw DMA but is that it? When I searched i got no one else. Also im new to plowing year with the truck, been doing some drives and been doing some sidewalks as a sub. Was looking on some insight on pricing de icing and also If there is a eco - deicer, as a client has requested it, the rest would probably be fine with rock salt or CC. Just looking for some advice:waving:

thanks in advance
  2. M & MD Lawn

Also recommendations on salt/de icer use? I know rock salt can be used effectively if it is put down in the right application rate.
  3. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

It sounds like a typo, meant to be CMA (calcium magnesium acetate). It's dandy stuff, but pricey. Do a little digging and you can find pricing info on it, but my experience has been that clients LOVE the environmentally friendly deicers right up until they see what they cost.

4. M & MD Lawn

Lol I was thinking along that same thing, and there's calcium chloride I thought ??...never heard over cma, I'm new to this special salt thing, I had used rock salt on my drives and sidewalks
  5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Ice melt choices

There are many options for ice melters. They are all good in certain situations based on the many variables of the actual snow or ice event and the surface area being treated.

Feel free to give us a call to discuss the many options available and some sources for you to check out. Training, education and knowledge makes the difference. Glad to see your effort to understand why it makes a difference to choose different materials for different conditions. Pricing for different products as stated in a prior post are all over as well.
  6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

There's lots of companies out there trying to market their product as being "special" or "eco-friendly" "safe for pets" "safe for concrete" "safe for grandma" etc etc. If they say they have CMA in it, assume it's at a very very low concentration, as in a fraction of a percent, just so they can say it's in there, otherwise is would be incredibly expensive. At low concentrations, as it typical of "mixed" products, it's pretty much ineffective, and it's all a marketing plow so they can jack the price and make you think you're getting something special. Lastly, beware of companies selling "mixed" products that won't tell you exactly what ingredients are in the bag, and at what percentages. These companies' products are generally 95%+ rock salt, with small percentages of other products mixed in; some are even still using mostly potassium chloride which is even less effective than anything else, yet they mix in a little calcium and magnesium and sell it to uninformed consumers for $15+ for a 30lb bag.
  7. Keepitclear

Keepitclear Junior Member
    from Ontario

8. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

give us a ring we have calcium chloride brine 26 to 32 % 877 3 4BRINE thanks Mike