1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ebling VS Daniels Pull Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 32vld, Feb 16, 2013.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thinking about next year. May buy a pull plow.

From what I have seen on the web is the Daniels uses a standard rear receiver to mount to a truck. And, the sides are fixed.

The Ebling has wings that can be at 90 d to the blade or pivot out inline to act as extentions making the blade longer.

So anyone have pull plow experience?

Is pivoting wings better?

Is having less moving parts with fixed wings more dependable?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It all depends on what type of plowing you do. It big open lots then the ebling, but if you do mostly residential then The Daniels is the way to go.
  3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Burkarts, I do mostly residential.

Can you give more detail as to why you would go with a Daniels?
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The Daniels is a simpler design and less to go wrong. The size of an ebling is large and the potential to clip objects on residential properties is increased. I know there are plenty of guys that use them for residential and they work great but IMO if I was mostly resi I would go with the Daniels. Same width of the truck you can get in tight areas with it as well.
  5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I have the 16' Ebling. I don't own a Daniel's. I've never seen either before my purchase. I did my homework. Get the biggest Ebling you can afford. It does the work of two plow trucks. I use the 16 footer on commercials and residentials also. Wish I would have bought one years ago.
  6. snoworks07

snoworks07 Member

I have purchased over 14 Daniels pull plows over the years and currently have 3 in service. They work great for residential driveways. I would not go plowing without one, it's a must have for residentials. I have looked at the Ebling blade for me, but the size was a factor not to purchase.

Most driveways are not flat, so trying to make one 16' pass does not get the driveway clean, so the expandable width really does not help. I still have to make several passes with my 96" Daniels because most driveways have a crest in the middle or similar.

I guess it all depends on what type of accounts you are going to service. I mean, if you had 100 driveways that were flat and straight and 16' wide, the Ebling blade would be the pull plow to purchase, no doubt.
  7. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Ebling, B+B Quick Hitch or Swing Wing.....all good options for an expandable pull plow. For drives, why even consider a fixed width plow? My Ebling will go everywhere a Daniels will go, and open up to 14' if I want it to. You don't have to open the Ebling all the way all the time, that's what's great about it....besides the fact that it will pull a lot of snow!
  8. TLK380

TLK380 Member

I have a Daniels 96" and is trouble free. This is the third season I used it.
  9. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Again thanks to all those that responded.
    Hope to be able to afford a push plow and a pull plow for my Wrangler next year.

Leaning towards the Daniels pull plow for the rear.
  10. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Started w daniels, replaced w 16' eblings. Prefer the eblings as they are more versatile.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think I would like an Ebling better.
  12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Ebling with the wings retracted is 8' with the wings pinned in you have 2x the containment as the Daniels. I don't see any benefits to the Daniels and yes I have used both, granted the Daniels was limited and a few yrs ago.. I've had countless hours with a 16' ebling.
  13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

You can get an Ebling with fixed sides just like the Danials.

One difference between all of these pull plows is how they mount to the truck, the Ebling is a major solid piece, the hitch is changed out for one that Jim makes.

The Ebling blade, even the fixed one is gotta be more weight than the Danials.

If you are putting a pull plow on a Wrangler, I'd be looking for something simpler than a swing wing or Ebling - Danials would be just about perfect for that application.

When I see Jim in the morning, I'll ask him his thoughts on a 16' Ebling on a Jeep Wrangler.
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I can get my CC F350 shortbox with 16' Ebling into anything someone can get a Daniels into. Assuming they are both 96" wide.

But you can't carry 14' of snow behind you with that 96" Daniels. Or pull out 16' of loading docks. Or parking spaces.

Even a fixed wing Ebling is a far stronger plow than the Daniels.
  15. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What do you mean by change out the hitch?

I landscape and need to pull a trailer.

Also a 16' wide Ebling makes me wonder how do I drive down roads with such a wide pull plow.

Then can a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited handle a pull plow that wide?

Last as someone pointed out. They do mostly residential work. A lot of drive ways have many low spots. So in theory, the wider the plow, 16' vs 8', the more likely the wider plow will rest on the high spots and not get down down to pavement as well.

I just found out that Arctic makes a pull plow.
  16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you seen an Ebling plow?

Do some research.
  17. extremepusher

extremepusher Member
    from west mi

1. You will have to change the hitch, but the ebling hitch has a receiver for pulling trailers. Ebling hitch will be stronger than a oem factory hitch

2. Ebling is no wider than 96" wide with the wings closed for going done the road.

3. check out www.eblingandson.com and watch the video
    4. Ebling also sells daniels plows.
  18. snoworks07

snoworks07 Member

I guess the other factor is the cost of the unit.

I have not priced out an ebling in the past 4 years, but my 96" Daniels pull plow cost $2350.00 off season, at the end of 2011.
  19. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have seen Daniels and Ebling videos on youtube and the manufacturer's web sites before posting here.

Stating a plow is 16' and 16' with wings extended is two different things.

As to going from 8' to 16' the Ebling wings do not look 4' long.

I will be pulling a 6 x 12 single axle trailer.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Talking about videos. Videos whether plows or other equipment are always done at best conditions to show off the equipment.

For those that have used pull plows besides being faster do they clean better then a push plow back dragging?