1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ebling Center Mold Board Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stevesmowing, Dec 19, 2014.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

I ordered an ebling 16' plow yesterday. I'm trying to figure out what edge I want on the center section. The wings by default come with poly edges. I have a hand full of driveways which can't have a steel edge on them. I will be using the ebling for 90% residential. Has anyone used the poly edge in the center? How does the scraping ability and life expectancy compare to steel? I know it will be less in both but enough to be concerned with?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Back when we used rubber edges on back blades, they lasted longer than steel.

They also suck for scraping anything but slush.

Check into a UHMW edge, a happy medium between both types.

Urethane is no better than rubber.

3. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

I agree with Mark on this. Rubber doesn't peel like the steel. But if your doing mostly residential and applying a lot of down pressure with the steel edge it will make a lot of noise scraping bare pavement with no hard pack.

4. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

When doing driveways, what is a reasonable number per hour when using an Ebling?

5. I have poly on mine in the the middle as wing as well. I do 58 drives at a complex in 1.5 hours to 2 hours

6. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

That is alot of drives. How big are the driveways? What size truck? Is that the 16' plow? Do you push it up at the end of each or pull it across the street? We are going to have to get one of those next season. Thanks.

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I did a 48 driveway complex in 1.5 hours. 6 or so inches of snow. There are 12 buildings, 2 double drives and 2 single drives at each building, plus about 15K square feet in clubhouse parking area. Drag each drive into the road, then clean the road up after each building.

With just a front blade it's over 3 hours. Skid steer and HLA SnoWing it's about 2. Plus the Ebling does a better job, because there's 2 landscape beds in between the center driveways. Once you get to the ends of the beds, you open the wings up to clean that part too.

I'm pretty sure Triple L had poly edges all the way across his Ebling, you might PM him.

8. Call me if you want 708 670 8504

9. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

Those are really good numbers. Did you change the way you estimate or are you bringing in more money? By my estimation, that is a 300.00 job, at least.

10. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

R&R, that reply was for JD Green. I was just responding to his post. I will call you though. Thanks.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Im sorry, but either the layout of said driveways is REALLY unique, giving a truck some kind of advantage....or your operator in the skid sucks.

12. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

Two hours for 48 drives plus extras is really efficient for a skid steer. The only advantage trucks have over skid steers is ground speed. Skids are more maneuverable, have good visibility and down pressure. The Ebling is the only advantage for the truck. I would think; I don't know because I don't have one yet. It makes sense, though.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

All right next to each other, like described, I disagree completely. We do 93, then about 1 mile down the road, 29 more in 3-3.5hrs (travel time included on 4in avg snow)........we could probably shave an hr off of that with a tractor & inverted blower...?..

The ebling blades are awesome, and I want one....bad. But in a dense resi setting, where you have drives lined up back to back, no truck/ebling will touch a properly setup & operated skid or tractor. Let alone, the reliability/durability factor.

14. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 Member

So you can do a good job on drives in 1 minute, 45 seconds consistently for 3.5 hours without hitting anything? With cleanup and 1 mile down the road in a skid steer?

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

yep....some take that long, some around the 1 min mark, & some of the singles are under 1min. I've never accurately measured the distance between both sites, but I do know travel time is about 6min w/ the current machine we're using, so it may be a little more than a mile...

As for hitting anything, I will admit we've hit 3 mailboxes in 7 seasons of having these accounts. I'm guilty of 1, the main operator for these sites 1, & 1 of the backup helpers 1. We replaced them immediately. It was no big deal.

FYI, theres guys here on PS doing similar resi routes, slightly faster/more efficiently than I....I hope to be there someday, but working with what I have for now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

cdqat1432, my numbers didn't change from before to after the Ebling. I use the boost in production on the lots that I know are competititive to gain an advantage, but as far as the ones that are seasonal that I've already got locked in, that's just money in the bank.

The main reason I bought one is for my seasonal accounts. Secondary is to boost margins on the per push accounts. It makes apartment complexes a breese.

There are 6 buildings on each side of the road, and said road is 3.5 lanes wide. It's 1/2 mile long. That's what kills the skid steer's time. And I'm not sure why I said this is an account that our HLA is on. The machine with the 10' Kage does this account normally.

If it were just the driveways, I would completely agree that it's way too slow. The driveways alone take about 50 minutes. 2 parking areas take about 20 and the road takes the rest. They raise all kinds of holy hell if the road berms aren't pushed back to give the full width of the road too.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes...I was under the impression we were talking more the "typical neighborhood setting"