1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ebling Back Blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NBI Lawn, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone ever used a back blade and regretted it? Thinking instead of another truck maybe make one twice as efficient. What's a good all around pull plow??? 14'? I have never seen one around here for some reason,blind of why I'm asking.

Edit, maybe this should have gone somewhere else...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I bought an Ebling 4 winters ago and have NEVER regretted it. Went with a 14'. For oir plowing, a 14' is perfect. I sold half my company to a friend of mine and he uses the our truck (07 F350 Crew Cab, 6.0psd) with a Boss V-XT up front. He had never used one, and had serious doubts about it being any better.... well, he's a believer now. In fact we have two trucks set up the same way. I no longer plow in a truck, because i run our tractor/blower set up.

Huge time saver.... :)

3. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I got a 16' twin cylinder on the back of my truck. I'm able to run my spreader which is awesome. this is the second season with mine and its been great. I don't know if people realize this about the twin cylinder, but it kinda will float( not with crazy down pressure) and follow the road crown cause of the fluid slosh between the cylinders. I run mine on a 03 Chevy 2500 long bed ext cab dmax. I also have a 2 yard buyers in the back and have had ZERO frame problems.

4. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

Got my 14' this year, I don't ever want to be without it.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I installed my 16' right after the first of the year. I'll never run a plow truck myself without one again. It more than replaces a truck, at least on my properties. I should have done it years ago.

My ONLY regret is not spending the extra money on the twin lift setup. But just buying a Boss VBX v box yesterday, I'm not sure if that huge spinner chute would fit even in a twin lift setup.

I can't think of a reason to run anything smaller than a 16' either.

6. NBI Lawn

I was thinking of selling my current plow and getting a new Wideout next year. Now I am leaning towards finishing the rehab on my 9' straight and getting the back blade. 16' just seems so damn big. 14' sounds better in my head but I guess there really isn't much of a difference.

7. I have a 16 on my 450. The time saving that I see is great. I was going to get a 14 but you can always make the 16 any where from 8.5 to 16 wide. All my drives are 2 cars wide at town homes. I have one that is 58 drives that I can do in 1.5 hours by pulling them out 6 to 8 at a time and then drag it all down to a dead end. I love the way it cleans And so do home owners.
    I also got the twin lift for the spreader but have not put the spreader in the truck for the past 2 years

I would do another one in a heart beat

8. NBI Lawn

How do the scrape on somewhat uneven ground or off rain gutters at the end of driveways?

9. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

No complaints from me on scraping. That's partly why i went with a 14' over a 16'. Large,wide open lots is where a 16' will shine. For me, the 14' was a better choice for transitioning from driveway to road.

10. NBI Lawn

This is why I was leaning toward the 14'. But...is it really that much of a difference? The 16' has a lot more carrying capacity I would assume.

How do they do when you hit something (ie a man hole cover) with the DP? Does it shake the truck a part?

11. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

A 16' will certainly carry more, but you need the truck, weight and power to pull it. My 07 F350 pulls the 14' just fine most days. But anything over 4", on longer pulls (250') and i think a 16' will be overkill.

We have not had an issue with hitting manhole covers. But i have seen a few in town that are definitely tweaked a bit. Knowing the lots you plow is definitely a plus. We basically have been doing the same places for the last 8 years.... Except for the work i picked up with the tractor/blower.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Don't worry so much about small bumps or anomalies on the ground. The pull plow blade is angled like this: l. Whereas a front plow blade is like this: /. It makes slipping over cracks, manholes and other uneven areas much easier. They will follow the rain gutter dips and clean them out real nice. You will like a pull plow.

13. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Very true. ... but we have a manhole cover, in a driveway to a church that, is off level a bit. Flush on one side and sticks up .5" on the other. Going in the drive you WILL hit it with a front plow or the pull plow, while going out you can blow right over it with either plow. We all know it's 3' from the left edge, at the 3rd light pole. :)

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

funny how fast you remember those things.

15. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I was warned by the previous plow contractor. ... good thing he and i are good friends. I have never hit it personally, but a few guys who have helped, and were warned ahead of time, have spilled some coffee over that manhole. :)

16. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Any one have one of these close to Madison WI?

17. NBI Lawn

Thinking about buying a few and selling to people after they see how amazing mine is :)

18. Nick B

Nick B Junior Member
    from Madison

I bought my first 16ft Ebling this year and no regrets. Its mounted on my 2013 GMC 2500 HD, pull it just fine. I had a Daniels on it before and I thought that was a time saver, but the Ebling saves even more time. Definitely worth the money. We also have 6 other trucks set up with Daniel's pull plows and will slowly switch them all to Eblings. The 16ft Ebling is good for our commercial lots and double and triple stall garages on the residentials side. If a guy had mostly small lots and single or double stall garages to do I would recommend the 14ft.

19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I forgot to add in my first post. Anyone local to NE OH that wants to see one in person, or even run one you're more than welcome to come any time and check mine out and run it on my lots.

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't spend the money to do that unless you get a LOT of snow. 60+ inches a year or more is what it would take for me.

The only thing I use my front blade for is stacking. A paid for straight blade does that just as well as a 6500 dollar v plow or Wideout. I wasn't planning on adding the Ebling this year, or I probably wouldn't have bought the v plow over the straight.

20. NBI Lawn

You wouldn't recommend an Ebling? Or you wouldn't recommend a new wideout an an Ebling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.