1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ebay and Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by William B., Dec 29, 2004.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have a question for everyone. I have been watching ebay lately and noticed that there is a dealer that is selling new Western and Boss snow plows. He is located in Center Point IA, which is about 2 hrs north of me. My question is, if you were looking for a plow, would you go this route and buy a new plow off of ebay, or would you prefer to stay local.
    Thanks

William

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm planning on buying a V from them next year as a matter of fact.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have a local Boss dealer here but I can save about $1000 on a V by going up there to buy the plow. :nod:

4. fordsrbetter

fordsrbetter Junior Member

william were ya from? that down by mt pleasent
    i've contacted them and they told me they still charge shipping on the items even if you pick them up. thats about it. later D.J.

5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I was about to buy a plow from that guy- here is my story:

the theory for me was I save on the tax as all shops charge tax because the plow is considered a tool and you pay NYS tax on tools, but they changed the shipping quote twice on me as well as the price of the plow itself.

they give shipping examples to Buffalo and some other places, the most expensive quote on the ebay ad is $170, I give them my zip code and they first quoted me $200 and told me they would throw in the handheld controller.

Then like 2 weeks later im ready to buy, I send them another email and he now raises the price of the plow $200, telling me that price is not good anymore and how the price of plows went up, wants a extra $60 for the handheld controller, then he tells me if I happen to be on Long Island the shipping would now be $250. I TOLD HIM MY ZIP CODE AND TOWN NAME to begin with. Just last week I finally deleted all the emails back and forth, I know im not crazy because I had saved all the emails.

If they cant get the price straight I was in fear of them not getting the plow right
    If you have ever seen the way a plow gets shipped it comes in ALOT of boxes, some of them are vehicle and headlight specific, all I would need is to have a inccorect part and my install would have gone down the crapper waiting for the right parts.

I went to my local distributor as I am a person who likes to establish local contacts for when I have a problem. I purchased my ultramount PRO with handheld controller for $3659 with tax, it was $3365 without tax.

So when you factor in the shipping and extra $60 for the handheld controller it was no bargain in the end that the ebay shop wanted

Not sure if that guy is even selling the pro at that price, the pro cost me something like $200 extra, so in reality I could have gotten the set up for $3165 plus tax.

6. ztoro

ztoro Junior Member
    from NJ

I was going to buy a v from him to. I already had a straight blade so I just needed to swap the plow and the controller.... I spoke with him numerous times and his prices are great and he seems legit...

If you dont buy the auction before it end you cant blame him for changing the price...

If the auction is out for 7 days and on the 8th day you decide to buy they dont have to honor that price......

Money is a little tight so I cant upgrade, thats the only reason.... To me its a no brainer to buy from them to save 500-1000 dollars.....

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

STAY LOCAL...BE LOYAL to your local plow dealer! The few dollars you save isn't worth the grief you will get when you need parts or service and your local dealer knows that you didn't get the plow from him. I have a local Western dealer who is fantastic, stays open when it snows, and helps in any way he can...but for the guys that are loyal to him. He has a sign on his wall that says "Warranty claims accepted ONLY on plows and accessories purchased here!". The guys that buy plows from other dealers get their stuff serviced last, and rightfully so. If he is extremely high (more money then the other dealer) explain your price to him and see if he is willing to adjust his price so you are not forced into going to the other dealer. If he doesn't, then tell him that you gave him the opportunity to match the price because you are a loyal customer and wanted to give him the opportunity to make the sale. Tell him you would still like him to service the equipment and see what he says...my guy usually does the right thing. :angel:

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally i am too worried to buy anthing online especially a purchase as big as a snowplow, there is so much to go wrong. Everything is vehicle specific. When i was looking for a plow for my cherokee recently, i looked on e-bay, i tried going the used route for a while. I finally decided to not go through the trouble of buying online/used. If iam getting a plow i want it done right, i want to know what iam getting and how reliable its going to be. I finally decided to spend the money and buy from a dealer I know well and have bought many things from before. I like to deal with people face to face locally, communication alone would prevent me from buying online.

9. ztoro

ztoro Junior Member
    from NJ

I am sure Western loves to get the call " Hi I am at one of your dealers and he will not honor your warranty"....

My dealer seems to be indifferent to where you purchase a plow.. While I am sure he would love to sell the plow to you, he is not dumb enough to not take your money for service....

10. ztoro

ztoro Junior Member
    from NJ

Like NJ PLowman said I would at least give your local guy a chance to match it.... No one is going to blame you for trying to save money....

11. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I understand about buying it after auction end.

however, I contacted them thru email about a plow purchase, not thru the ebay auction ad. Like I said- I had saved every email back and forth up until last week otherwise I would show how shady the whole thing was.

You would think just one person would have chimed in about actually purchasing a plow from them?

12. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I live in Mt. Pleasant. Where are you from.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

William

13. fordsrbetter

fordsrbetter Junior Member

hello iam from keokuk just drove through mt pleasant coming back from council bluffs i ya ever have a problem with plowing let me know i would drive up and help ya out.

14. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

8' western

I just wanted to chime in about my purchase from them. I got a 8' ultramount from him at $2900. $211 was shipping. Total 3111. My locals couldn't even come close on price. Very friendly and easy to deal with. I do agree on the sense of supporting locals, but this was to good of a deal. I did find out first hand how the locals don't like to honor warranties of stuff not bought from them. I had a bad motor relay and they didn't want to do anything for me, So I said "well I don't think western is going to like hearing that you are not offering there anyplace warranty!" The guy behind the counter thought for a minute and then gave me a new part under warranty!
    Overall, a great deal and would do it again for the price break!

15. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

My words on this would be:

1. as long as it is new and under warranty then why worry.

2. use a credit card for payment if you have buyer protection.

3. enjoy your new plow.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

LINY Rob,

I can't comment on his business practices, but as for the shipping charges go,.....Most truck freight carriers charge a premium for the 5 boroughs and LI. You mentioned a Zip, but he may have been thinking NY state, not the city or LI.

Nobody wants to drive through the city to get to you. Thats why everything on LI is expensive.