1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ebay Alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by samjr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Any1 get a Alternator off Ebay i am looking @ this 250929252207
    200 amp 110 to 120 @ idle and max out @ 1200 rpm
    Just want to know if this is junk ?:confused:

2. samjr

samjr Senior Member

fisher mortor

How much AMPs does this use up

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking here.

4. samjr

samjr Senior Member

mortor

when i use the plow does it use like 10 amps ?What i want to know what the plow pulls for power

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well to give you an idea,,its like starting your truck. it pulls alotta amps!!!! I'm notta fan for getting alts. off ebay. not totally who the seller is, and did they just clean it up and state that its a h.o. alt. do a search for it on here, others have mentioned so good places fyi.

6. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Well, it really depends on many things. Things such as plow make and model, ambient temperature (cold makes fluid more difficult to pump), wiring, etc.

In the most simple of explanations, some plow pumps, like the fisher minute mounts, are much alike a starter motor that runs a hydraulic pump. It is not uncommon for them to have momentary draws of 100 amps or more. keep in mind that this is not a constant draw however, while for the most part the alternator is a constant power, this is why it does not drain your truck dead if all is sized and wired correctly.

7. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I got a HO alternator off ebay years ago for a truck I don't have anymore. Never had any trouble with it. I don't remember who it was I got it from.

8. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Up here

They want $450 and up for 200 HO :eek:
    So that's Y i am looking on Ebay man $170 to my door
    i got a 105 on the truck now that 7 years old and i think she on her way out.Light always went dim when using the plow.But Now the last storm we had she had a hard time getting back to 14 in the truck.And now i just went out to try it and if i turn everything on in the truck that u wood need in a storm she drops down to 11,12 and comes back to 14 @1500 too 2000 RPM

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Thats why I went to ebay. They wanted an arm and a leg for an HO alternator. You could just go with a factory 140. I think that is what the plow preps get. I don't think they cost that much.

10. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Have you upgraded the wiring in your truck? I would start there before spending money on an alternator. You will be amazed at the difference. Search "Big Three" on this site for all kinds of great reading on it.

11. samjr

samjr Senior Member

Y i did that last year

went to all 0 gage wires and put dual bats in

12. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Cool! You're on the right track then. If you're questioning your alternator, take it to your local auto supply (carquest, napa, autozone), they should be able to bench test it for you. As for your original question, I'm not a big fan of purchasing things like electronics and such from ebay, usually you get what you pay for. It could be worth a try though, check with the seller about their return policy if you are dissatisfied with the product. If they will take it back no questions asked, you've got nothing to lose. If all sales are final barring some sort of defect, you may think twice.

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

14. monson770

monson770 Senior Member