1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Eating solenoids

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NSDOT, Dec 23, 2013.

1. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

My MVP is eating solenoids, two in two days, posts are melting right out, can't find any connections that are corroded/ bad what else could be heating them up? Also replaced the motor. Going a little nuts!
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Motor going bad, inside of wire corroded, cheap solenoid or running pump against relief way too much. Some things to check. Are you using oem parts or aftermarket?
  3. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

oem, was curious if there are aftermarket solenoids that are more robust, have to carefully check our wiring, the short lead to solenoid shows signs of heat but the connections seem ok.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yes there are aftermarket solenoids that are better than the OEM ones.

A wise man directed me to use a Trombetta solenoid but before I steer you in the wrong direction I'll look to see what the part # is. Maybe someone who knows what it is will see this before I get back to you.

One thing to keep in mind is that the solenoid is pretty big and getting it to fit inside the pump cover will take some maneuvering. (You've been warned :p)
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of problems can be traced back to a bad ground. That is where I would start.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Trombetta "bear" is the major HD solenoid.

Add to the list below, to viscous a fluid, running with battery at LOW amperage, poor ground, ineffective battery connections, poor ground, frozen pump, binding pump, corroded motor bearings.

If the 12v motor solenoid you are using is rated at 200 amp or better than you should look for the underlying cause.
  7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of the solenoid you need (but as mentioned above you could very well have underlying issues).

And unless you get lucky or you have some serious mechanical skills you won't get this installed nearly as quick as an OEM one. This thing barely fits into the space you're given.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

First point: isn't this an MVP? The MVP plus has relay on board the plow but regular MVP has motor relay (solenoid as u call it) by the battery under the hood. Big relay is no problem.
    Second point: if it is a plus then the relay is not the same. Old relay has a high resistance magnetic coil that is known as the "continuous" relay where as the plus has a low resistance relay coil that pulls harder but draws more current and gets hot if left on. This one is known as the "momentary" relay and is used on all inboard relay plows. If u install that aftermarket on a plus u will have problems.
    Next I want to elaborate on what will cause increased current draw. Thick oil and bad bearings r mechanical loads that will take more current. Low battery voltage can theoretically cause higher current draws because the motor never gets up to speed. However I have never replaced relays for this reason.
    Bad connections or "IR drops" are resistances which will cause a reduction in current flow not an increase. They will, however, generate heat which will cook a relay. Bad battery connections and bad grounds also fall under resistance and will reduce current flow in the motor circuit.
    I would b using a clamp on current meter first to see what the current actually is. 140 amps to start dropping below 100 once it's moving is good.
    Most repeat relay problems r caused by bad motors drawing too much, pinched power cables grounding out drawing too much power or loose connections at the relay creating heat which cooks the relay.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

I use the western continuous duty solenoid on my ultra mount and never have a problem.
  10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Certainly u can get away with it in a pinch but the Western engineers made this upgrade for a reason.