1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

easy fuel pump change

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

had to change the fuel pump today, thought you guys might like this..

IMG_0436.JPG

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

this was my help

IMG_0439.JPG

4. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

Good thinking.I'll have to remember that when my pump goes and I got a fulll tank of gas in it...Ohhh can I borrow your helper he'll have the experience.lol

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

only took me 45min to change it , and that incuded diging out the hoist....and cleaning up...

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Nice, bud :D

bet that saved you a lot of money payup

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Seeing you change your pump that way make me glad Im part owner of a repair shop. Thats not the safest way to work on it. Im just glad it worked out for you. Btw had a guy come in about a month ago and I think hes got your idea beat. He cut a hole in his bed to try and get his pump out......Rob

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

cutting a peice out works on some trucks , but on this truck there is a bed support between the bed and the fuel pump.

What is so unsafe about what i did. :confused:

9. schnitz

schnitz Member

No kidding, that looks a butt load safer than when I changed one for a buddy this summer. He stood 4' from me the whole time smoking a cigar. When he leaned over to take a closer look, I almost kicked him in the nuts. Idiot.

Chet.

10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Whats gonna keep that bed of yours from smashing your mellon if that lift or where you have it hooked to the bed lets go??...Rob

11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

well after the bed was lifted up there were two jack stands placed between the frame and the bed. as fore is sliding to the side, there are two square like boxes that hang down 4" off the bottom of the bed , so those were resting against the frame. before i went under there i shook the bed with my hands to make sure it was solid........ so your saying bringing it to a shop would have been safer. i disagree.

at a shop , they would have pumped all the gas out of the tank , which is never a good thing storing and pumping it . then it would have been put up on a lift and the person would be standing under a 7000lb truck working above his head. then he could change the pump . then have to work under the truck again and above his head to put it back up. then pump the fuel back into the truck.....I see a lot more things that can go wrong here than the way i do it.

but dont take that the wrong way , i know that it is done in shops every day like that.

bryan

12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well Bryan since I change on average 2 pumps / tanks a week Ive got a back ground on changing a pump or two. Sorry but I have to diagree with you on working under a car on a lift. Unless there is a major failure I dont see a car that is properly racked falling off of a lift. And as to pumping the gas out of that tank I dont do that. We use a tranny jack with plates and we strap the tank to the jack. We always use 2 guys to remove and install that tank. Gas isnt something to take lightly. Bryan I guess I should have kept my comments to myself but to me it just didnt look all that safe, but I could have been wrong....Rob

13. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

That is the easiest way as far as I'm concerned. I use 4 chains to secure the bed to the lift and just pick it up. make the job go a whole lot faster.

14. schnitz

schnitz Member

Depending on where BNC was (meaning no where near a shop), I'd say he did a decent "shadetree" job of finding a homebound way to change the pump. The one I changed had 7+ gallons of gas, and I balanced the tank on a 3 ton floor jack on a gravel driveway with the truck on jackstands (and as stated earlier, an idiot smoking over my shoulder). I worked real slow, and nothing happened. IMO, There is always a safer way to do anything, but you need better equipment 99% of the time.

Chet.

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I changed the sending unit on mine a while ago (going to have to do it again this summer) by simply sinning on the ground with my upper body inside the fender in front of the wheel well- working over the frame rail. Not sure if there's enough room to do a pump that wat- diesel's don't have a pump back there.

16. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

We did my buddies 79 Powerwagon fuel tank that way. Criss-crossed 2 5000# ratchet straps between opposite corner bed stake pockets, unbolted the 8 bed bolts, disconnected the taillights, and lifted the entire bed off of the truck frame...rolled it backwards, and set it down behind the truck. Then swapped the tank. It was MUCH easier and quicker than dropping from below (been there too...). Definitely safer than dropping the tank from underneath too.

:drinkup: