1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Easy Ford Reverse lights...

Discussion in 'Back-up Buddy - Back-up & Utility Lights - Trucks' started by 07PSDCREW, Sep 8, 2011.

1. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Hey guys.....If you have a Ford with the upfitter switches.......

I used switch#3 to send 12v+ to a relay and changed that output to 12v Ground using that relay. The signal then goes directly to the fuse block on the drivers side to the 1/2 ISO relay that powers the reverse circut on the truck. Give that relay ground to the lowest of the three posts using a fuse tap, and it powers the reverse circut, (Just like you do when you select reverse) as well as the TRAILER TOW REVERSE circut in the 7pin RV plug (black with green stripe Center pin) I wanted 4 LED lights but for now, I added round Halogen rubber tractor lights to that circut.

So the only wiring that had to be done was a relay and to wire the lights in the back.....no wires down the truck to get chaffed and they work when in reverse and when switch 3 is flipped. Plus they are on there own FACTORY circut and not tapped off of something else.

I have strobes on switch 1 , nothing yet on 2, work/reverse on 3 and High Idle control on 4 (for warming up that ccccoollddd diesel:D)

pos2neg.gif

revlightfuse1.jpg

revlightfuse.jpg

reverseswitch.jpg

reverse lights.jpg

2. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Looks good!!

3. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Thanks!! I cant wait to get some LEDs for it though...I have 20% tint on my truck all around.....need all the light i can get. Gets a little cold with windows down...lol

4. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

the only thing bad about the led is that they don't melt the snow on them ...(don't get warm )

5. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Good point! Didnt think of that...Maybe ill just add two more halogens...

6. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

So, simply take the positive from one of the upfitters, and hook it to pin 86 that powers the reverse circuit???

7. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

NO! lol not yelling at cha but ya gotta change the output of the upfitter switch to ground (12-) The reverse lights see ground when you shift and that is what that pin is on the relay on the dash....it is GROUND signal to turn on the lights. To do that just grab a relay thats hangin around and wire it like the diagram shows. Using the upfitter output, it will signal the relay to turn on and therefore send ground to the relay in the dash and turn on your lights...

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

So... ground pin 30 and 85 , upfitter switch output to 85 and wire pin 87 to the 1/2 iso relay to the lower of the three pins on the left of the relay...(sorry i dont know what pin it is) and that will run your reverse lights on a factory circut. and you can run them in park but if you have reverse sensors...they will be powered up too but no biggie.
    let me know if you need more explanation.
    Leon

9. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Gotcha, that makes sense. I just ran out and looked at my 2011 and I have a reverse relay...but I don't know if it'll work...
    I'm trying to get the reverse system to turn on, so my rear camera works all the time on the rear view mirror while plowing...

10. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

If it's a 1/2 iso relay it should work similar... Use a power probe (the switching power kind) with the relay out and shift into reverse....if you get a ground signal in that bottom left blade hole then it should work..(the led on the probe should turn green). It's hard to tell without me seeing the relay box. I'm sure ford kept it similar tho

11. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I'll take a pic...but its completely different...

I'll have to pull rhe relay and look....

12. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Take one of the relay and it's home too if u can.. I'll see what I can do for ya!

13. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

That would be great! Will do it tomorrow in some daylight!

I'm trying to hook a camera onto the salter into the stock system, and this would be the icing on the cake if I could do this....

14. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Well, I'm sure I can help with the stock setup but as far as hooking in an extra cam into the factory setup I'm not sure of. It may be easier to go to Auto Zone and buy/order their color camera wireless system. It stays on all the time if you want and camera only needs 12v which I'm sure is back there with the spreader....you could mount it permanently.
    I use one on my work Tow truck. It's a 22ft long flat bed and there's no issue with signal into the cab display..
    Good luck tho.
    I'll be watching for the pictures to help with the work lights for ya.

15. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Actually, its easier then you may think. I can order the stock pigtail from ford that the camera in the tailgate has...

The camera is always on, and when you put it reverse it sends a signal to turn on the monitor in the mirror...

So as long as I can find a camera with the same wiring hookup,

Vid +
    Vid -
    Power
    Power/ground
    And a static reducer,

I can make it plug and play....

16. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Kool!! If that's the case...I know best buy has an add on aftermarket camera that I bought for my indash that has similar wiring that you are looking for. The camera is actually heavy as it is made of cast and glass. For only 85$ too. It has power, ground, video, And mono sound. (yellow RCA and one red RCA). It'll prolly work for ya.

17. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I'll have to look, that sounds great because it'll be mounted right to the salter...

I may have to get a cord from Radio Shack to connect the video signals seperately..+ and -

18. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

19. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Not necessary... If you get the Ford pigtail as you say, the camera comes with 20ft+/- cord. The wires are identifiable in the camera cord, just cut it to length and splice in your connector/pigtail! I personally would solder then shrink-wrap but you could use small red butt connects and plenty of dielectric or liquid electrical tape.

20. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Right, but the video cable needs to be separated into a +\ - feed, since the ford pigtail doesn't just have a RCA input. It's just two wires for the video signal...or does the camera you have have the + and - video wires?