1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Eastern Canada plowers out there?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTPlow, Feb 6, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

I'd like to know how many plowers from the eastern part(or any part I suppose) of Canada are out there. I've been entertaining the idea of possibly not just moving more up north, but up north where all the snow is.
    I've done some researching and it seems the Newfoundland(Gander, Corner Brook for example) area overall gets the most snow. But then I read that a place (Val-d'Or), in Quebec, has the most snow days.
    Can anyone up there (I'm in the Northeast-Connecticut), give me some kind of insight and information about snow plowing there? Best locations? Best areas for business? What you can charge for a drive, etc.
    Val-d'Or looks desolate, and I dont know the first thing about Newfoundland.
    Any help would be appreciated. :drinkup:

2003 F350 w/ Meyer II EZ Mount
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Val-dor is quite desolate and french. Newfoundland has a low population and gets alot of snow. They are great people in Newfounfland. You might find snow clearing prices to be a bit on the low side as the cost of living, wages is not high in our area of Canada. I would not live anywhere else though. Love it here.
  3. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Be careful,

Some areas get alot of snow, but in the cities, the snow prices have gone to Hell.

In Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City, and all of the suburbs around them, the rates are very low. The way the drives are done is using big tractor (deere 6420, and New holland TS110 all 80 - 100 HP) they have 7 foot inverted blowers on the back. Most drivers have about 175 houses on a run and take about 4 hours per run. The trigger is 2 inces and the clear at least 25-30 times a year.

All this for $165 -190 per season (montreal) Its the volume that counts, there are alot of guys that make enough on snow that they only work in the winter. At least 4 companies are running between 60 and 110 tractors each. All this to service a suburb with 75,000 homes. Needless to say, on a street with 10 homes, on average 8 have a snow service. the drives are usually 2- 4 car.

hope that gives you an idea, here its go big or go broke.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Bolts is right, if you're looking to make money plowing, Nfld might not be the place to go. We do get a bit of snow from time to time, but nobody wants to pay to have it cleared. Looking at some of the prices some other guys on here charge,even for private driveways is WAY more than we charge around here...in my community anyway, don't know about other towns in Nfld. I usually charge around 15.00-20.00 bucks per driveway, some other guys around here charge only 10.00, Don't see many other people on here from Newfoundland, so don't know what other's charge?
  5. snowpusher 03

snowpusher 03 Junior Member

edgewater what part of montreal are you from i'm on the southshore of montreal.st.lambert we charge about 250 to 375 per season and you can do the drives with a pick up or tractor

6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Well I am from New Brunswick and we make so much money at snow removal that we have a hard time to spend it. The prices here are so high and we get so much work it is almost a curse.....hahahahahaha ;)

The downward spiral of revenue is a curse for all of us.
  7. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

I did a little more research and it seems for me anyways, that actually right around your area seems best Bolts! :) Between the amount of snow and population, its at least a thought.
    Dont worry though, this small time, 1 truck plower wont take any business from ya I'm sure. :)
    Would you mind it at all if I gave your business a call one day and ask you a few questions about how it is over there?

2003 F350 Meyer II EZ Mount
  8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Feel free to call anytime. I love living here but the snow amounts can be finicky from year to year. You have to be a bit diversified to survive. A little this and a little that.
  9. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

I am in the West Island. There are almost no guys using trucks here. There is one guy that is killing the market. He has over 100 tractors out each storm. In the fall he goes door to door talking bad about other contractors and sying that once they get paid they are just gonna run with the money. He will undercut anyone just to put them out of work. He (well one of his guys) came here last year and I had him talked down to 150 tax in for the season. I don't even bother with the snow, no money in res unless you have thousands of drives.

I work for my equipment dealer doing walkways for thier commercial contracts. They use big toys to keep from dealing with the guys that lowball.

They run;
    New holland TV 140 with a twin auger blower and a 12-19 extendable houle plow

Cat 966 with another houle 12-19 plow.
    Cat 920 with bucket and ears that are 12 ft wide
    Case the same size as the 920 with a 12 foot blade
    3500 4X4 WITH fisher 8 foot and salter.

It's hard for people to lowball contracts that take that kind of gear.
  10. snowpusher 03

snowpusher 03 Junior Member

edgewater is the name of the company syljack if so i heard of him his prices are crazy my friend lives in DDO he's payin 135 plus tax=155.28 and thats a four car driveway

11. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

edgewater is the name of the company syljack if so i heard of him his prices are crazy my friend lives in DDO he's payin 135 plus tax=155.28 and thats a four car driveway >>>

Man that sounds nuts! This always makes me shake me head. Why would a person want to do so much work for such chump change?? This guy sounds like he goes waaaaay beyond lowballing. He's better off doing 1/3 the work and charging more for the few customers he can get at a decent price. Maybe this guy and all these low ballers out there simply cant get work UNLESS they lowball. Its a shame for the rest of us who simply won't work for beans.
    As far as the bad mouthing of other contractors as mentioned, this is a definate no no. :nono: If you know which companies hes bad mouthing, maybe a few of you from those companies should go and have a little "chat" with this guy.
  12. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Yup thats the guy,

It would seem that after he puts the competition out of business he could then raise his prices, but he is such an A$$ hole I donèt think we can give him that much credit.
  13. business

business Junior Member

Montreal Plowers

I used to live in Montreal!! Yes it is true, there are big players out there. Charging $150 to $175 Cdn per driveway per season. All done with farm tractors. I went to see a tractor dealer and saw 4 burned tractors in his yard. I ask the dealer what happened? He said the competition is so bad here, the tractor owner was warned by other competitors that his prices were too low, he did not listen and one night, his equipment was sprayed with gas and torched! All were TS 110 from New Holland. Down there, don't mess with the big guys!

My best Idea for your big move: Find a place (anywhere) where the growth is tremendous, find a city that grows, where new house constructions are going nuts. Usually, where there's new houses being built, new commercial buildings are going up. It's all about statistics. Pick the right location where growth and snow is on the rise!

A growing city has always growing needs! Good luck!

Steve in Canada