1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Easter Project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JDWalkbehind, Apr 16, 2009.

1. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

I got extra leaf springs to go on each side, so over easter weekend i had time and put them in. It gave the truck about a 2in lift in the front. Now the truck sits better, looks better and will hold the plow better. Also i've been working on a new bed for it. I'll get pic's when i really get going on it. Let me know what you think.

truck 027.jpg

truck 030.jpg

truck 028.jpg

2. JDWalkbehind

ok here's with one side done. you can see it leaning in the front and you can see the difference in the wheel well.

truck 031.jpg

truck 033.jpg

truck 034.jpg

3. JDWalkbehind

ok an there it is all done. Can't wait for the new bed:redbounce

truck 036.jpg

truck 037.jpg

truck 038.jpg

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Nice job! I need to do the same for my front end. I just HATE HATE HATE working on springs. its easy work I just hate doing them. I want new leaf packs though and I never have good experiance with the leaf pack bolts.

Your truck looks real nice though. I hope your putting on a replacent bed and not a flatbed. your truck looks so nice!

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Wow your truck looks so much better lifted a little....your going to love the way it holds the plow now also. Great work man :drinkup:

6. JDWalkbehind

:):)
    Thanks for the compliment! it wasn't that bad i sat the plow mount on a jack an went to town. an impact, couple pry bars and a very large socket wrench an a pipe:) It was prob at least 3-4hrs. it would have went faster but i used the old u-bolts. If anyone would do this to their truck GET new u-bolts and cut the old ones off. That alone would have saved me an 1hr and 1/2. And yes i'm putting a rust free replacement bed on. I'm in the wet sanding process. Then paint. I can't wait to get it done! Thanks for the reply. Keep them coming!

7. MJD82

MJD82 Member

truck looks good. what kind of springs did you use? Are they for that application or did you cut them your self out of another spring pack? Mine sags the same as yours fill me in thanks.

8. MJD82

MJD82 Member

you still gonna keep the old bed or you gonna get rid of it let me know if you want to sell it and how much anything is better than what I've got on mine.

9. JDWalkbehind

i went to a place in Peoria called Automotive Spring. I can get you their info if you want it, they were very reasonable, and the guy was very helpful. They already had it made, it's just an added leaf. All you need to do is take the u-bolts off cut the old spring clip off and slide it in under the other springs. I think i might try to sell the bed no idea what i'd want. it'll be a couple months till it's ready to come off. Need any more info let me know or pm me. thanks for the nice compliments!

10. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Jesus, I have the same paint job lol, have you always stored it inside cause that is in such nice condition...? Im repainting mine this summer. I think Ill go black though,

11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Look great. Love that truckussmileyflag

For U bolt I just grind then put new U bolt since they are cheap to replace. Cost like $8 at auto store Not chain auto store it very old business.

Hey could you get measure on rear axle Leaf spring how wide I am look for heavy duty spring for 79 F150.

12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

how much did the add a leaf's run you? im contemplating adding one on all 4 corners of my f-350

13. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I did the same thing on my old truck & it helped. Did you get the center drop for the axle pivot points? With that truck being IFS you will fight the alignment if not or maybe you can take it in & have the caster and camber set to compensate for the lift. I am not trying to tell you how to do this but just trying to save you the same headaches I went through because I was eating front tires constantly.

14. JDWalkbehind

Well i'm the third owner and my uncle had it before me, and he always kept it inside, in the winter it's always inside, but not always in the summer.

Milwaukee- I'll measure those springs today and pm you

Lawnpro-It really wasn't bad, for the 2 springs and all the bolts it was like $170. If you go ahead and do it make sure you get new u-bolts it will save so much time.

jkiser96- no i didn't the guy i talked to said it shouldn't lift it enough to need those, just align it he said. Now he could be wrong i'll have to look it to it more. Would you happen to know where i could get them if needed? Thanks

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Forgot to add.
    Yes We do see lot those trucks at collision shop for alignment. They can eat tires fast.

Better get alignment when you are done with everything then go to alignment shop.

16. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

someone already drugged up my suspension. It is blocked up quit a bit in all 4 corners it has extra leafs in the front but not the back. I might need to put them in the back :)

17. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I did the exact same thing to the white 95 that I had. I drove it for another 40k+ miles and never had it aligned and it didn't eat tires. That was all without the axle drop bracket, too. The gray one I just got already has this done...nice. I love this truck.

18. JDWalkbehind

Thanks Affekonig, i don't think it will need the axle drop bracket, but i'm going to take it to firestone to check the alignment. How do you like your new F250? We need to bring back the OBS thread

19. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

JD- I used to have the exact same truck; it never let me down. Your truck is in real nice shape. How bad is the rust on the bed?

20. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I have the exact same truck also Fisherman.