1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

easist way to get a stuck newspaper out of a snowblower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRS Landscaping, Oct 29, 2008.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

whats the easist way? anyone have some tips? thanks
  2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

How bout not letting it get in there in the first place?? :nono: :rolleyes:
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

how can you see the newspaper when it is under 6" of snow?
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

just light it on fire and it will disappear... jk. How about knocking out the sheer pins on the auger so they spin freely on the shaft? Our walk crews ALWAYS carrry extra sheer pins.
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

thats what i was going to say.....pour some gas on it though first since it'll be really wet
  6. lumps

lumps Senior Member

As a bonus, that'll clear out any ice that's built up in there as well.
  7. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

sounds like your machine is underpowered a 20hp should chop sundays news n coupon books right up. on a realistic note pull the pins thatll let you work the blades back n forth to unjam also use a sharp utility knife cut away lil at a time
  8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Had a feeling this would be brought up. Normal morning paper deliveries (at least around here) happen between 3:30-5:30am. If your observant you will see some sort of trail or disturbed spot in the snow from the paper being thrown from the car (you could notice those tracks in the snow too) Of course that's assuming the accumulation is already on the on the ground. Safe assumption because that's the reason you are there. When you see this do the right thing and get out of the truck, or stop your blower, get the paper and put it by the door.

It's the little things that make you different from others, and your customer will greatly appreciate it.
  9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

And if it's cought in the shoot take the shoot off. Snowblowers are very simple to work on.
  10. gallucci

gallucci Junior Member

I had one stuck in the auger, I just got a sharp knife and kept cutting it until it loosened up. I don't know about pouring gas on it and lighting it on fire...maybe a little drastic.
  11. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

i was thinking that too but not with gas, cut it away first then get at the stuck part with one of those little propane torchs
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's what i did with my 2 stage.
  13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

please say your kidding about the torch:nono:

has this happened to you already or are you just anticipating it?

most blowers will suck and blow chunks, but if something does get stuck like mentioned before, turn off the engine, pull the key, pop out the shear pin and have at it.

I sucked up a chain once blowing next to a dumpster, that made one hell of a noise and partially pulled the blower up since the other end of the chain was attached to the dumpster still. Good thing I had bolt cutters in the truck;)