1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Easiest way to do a ton of condo's driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drivefaster35, Dec 2, 2011.

1. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

I have a HOA that I do the mowing for and never did the snow removal for. However there guy just dropped the ball on them that he wont be doing it this year. I would have 78 driveways to do one right after another and was wanting some advice on what the most productive way of plowing them would be. He used to use 3 guys with snow blowers and a backhoe. The drives are standard 2 cars wide but only 30-40 feet long. I was thinking of having guys snow blow a couple paths right next 2 garage doors and buying one of those plows that hook to the end of the truck pulling it out into the street and pushing it down to the corners. Any advice would be awesome. This HOA has made it fairly clear they want me to do it have basically no other options and are willing to pay.

2. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I just picked up a condo in the same situation. I did the bid and then added $2k. They accepted it.

I have about 50 driveways and two small parking lots. I planned on doing them like any other drive. Push it to the side, back drag, then have a shoveler or blower do in front of the garage. I think if your using that many blowers it would take a hell of a lot longer then a truck. If you have a skid then putting a 5' blower would be a option but I still would only use it on the last 10'.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A couple of things you can do. First do you plow the road too? If so,back drag snow into the st plow the road then and do the final approach last by just pushing up the little snow left onto the corner of each drive.Or it you have a push box or v plows take the snow to a convenient spot to pile it up on.

4. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

Thats exactly what I'm thinking about doing I have 2 V plows one 8.5 the other 9.5 both with wings and was thinking about getting a back drag like a ebling or whatever to do drives better than the regular plow would backdrag them. Any suggestions on a reciever back drag? I know a local guy can get an 8 foot box style snowman snowplow back drag for 3700 any other suggestions?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would stick with that size.If a car is in the drive you can still get in to back drag it.

6. MnM

MnM Senior Member

Ebling all the way . But if u have accEss to a skid steer get yourself a protect push pull box about 8 ft and you should kill those drivewayS I do a complex with 125 driveways and have been doing it for years with a push pull 8th and a second cat to clean up very efficient. Added another 150 driveways next door and upgraded to a kubota 9540 with a 8 ft inverted blower and don't think I will ever turn back..

7. MGV

MGV Junior Member

Back dragging takes forever and does not do a good job in heavy snow. I'd use a pull plow, like a Daniels 90 or 96". Back in the driveway drop the rear plow and pull it right into the road. Would be so easy and quick. You could probably add the price of the plow into the contract and then it will speed up all your other work.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have condos 20 drives on each side of main driveway and works for us is a rear blade on tractor and a truck the truck keeps the main drive open We only have 2 places to put snow so we have carry it farther then I want some times we use skidsteer when we get deep snow
    After first time doing it you see how to do it

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

A tractor with an inverted blower will make quick work of them and leave a nice clean looking "no piles" finish to the job. You can also do the streets with the tractor/blower too.

10. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

dito

For that many driveways I would agree 100%

11. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

I used to do a complex where I had to snow blow the driveways. There were only 20 that were 20'X25'. I used my grasshopper mower w/a 60" snow blower on the front. It took 1.5hrs on average. IMO snowblowing is the way to do it, but you would need a larger machine to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. Good luck.

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

My money would be getting spent on a 4x4 tractor with a rear 3pt pull blade and a front mount blower. Drop the dime on a heated cab too. You'll watch the help fight over working in it.

13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

skidsteer or compact with front blower.....you need to manuver and move snow out of the way for the next storm

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

id go buy a real nice 20" snow shovel :salute:

15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

That many Driveways i would upgrade to the 24" Snow Shovel......:salute:

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Meh, no need to go overboard. Just walk around with a cigarette lighter and melt the snow.

17. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

ventrac very easy to navigate

18. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

19. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Back plow is the way to go, I recommend that you don't have guys running snowblowers at the same time. It is much less stressful not having to watch for guys running around behind your truck. $3700 for a Snowman is a pretty good deal

20. PALSLANDSCAPING

PALSLANDSCAPING Member

Get a skid steer and put a 10 ft Kage pusher on the front. Only way to go you have a 10 ft plow and also a 10 ft pusher all in one.