1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Easiest solution?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mikelawtown, Apr 11, 2011.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a new work van(not mine) and when i'm on the side of the road i think i would feel safer with some strobes,or something on the bumper, maybe a 2 strobe setup in the rear light. Just something quick i can do easily. wha do you guys think?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well strobes involve drilling holes in the lenses. I'm not sure how they'd feel if you drilled a hole in each lens. But sometimes they don't care because they don't keep them long enough to care. Other wise just a simple SVP amber tear drop light you can throw up on the roof when you top on the side of the road.

http://www.code-2.com/SVP-Dash-Lights-s/141343.htm

I have never ordered from this company before but this is what I was talking about. Its a cheaper alternative too.

3. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

If you go with a 2 strobe setup you can run a set of Whelen Vertex. Easy to install and they dont draw much power at all. Cost you about 200 for everything if you plan on doing it yourslef

4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

First since NY State is kinda Weird find out what the law will permit. I know they change the light color configurations quite abit and not sure what they'd say about you on the side of the road with a strobe.... personally I'd do something in an LED self contained in the back window!

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

email me i have something you want to see i bet.

6. mikelawtown

from Mass

Dont want it in the window, i have the doors open alot. Maybe in the tail light or a tir 3 mounted on the bumper...still deciding.

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

They say there's no such thing as a dumb question... Why not a magnet mount mini LED lightbar? Seems like it would be the easiest, most practical solution for a vehicle you don't own.

8. mikelawtown

from Mass

I am in Parking garages and most of the ones i'm in are 7 feet high and my 2500 HD van is like 6-10..I wonder how bright amber vertex would be in the turn or reverse light.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The light would be more true amber color than a amber strobe tube. They'd work real well back there. Or you can get the sound off universal leds.

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I see. I'm just not that big of a fan of hide-aways, as they just don't seem bright enough. If anything, clear strobes in the taillights are the most attention getting of any hide-aways. I have a couple vertex, and they're alright, but not as attention getting as a TIR3 or LIN3.

11. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

ok what I see is that if you have the back doors open alot, then none of the hide aways will work because with your doors open they cover your tail lights, correct? and you cant really use a LP bracket because your LP is on the door, correct? so that leaves you with the bumper or some kind of TIR3-6 mounted to the rain gutter just above the rear doors.
    or depending on what all you have in your van, maybe a roof mounted talon or something along those lines so it will show through the rear windows and when doors are open they are still visiable?

how about this arrowstick, cheap, removable and may work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/36-V...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

from what I have seen these usually sell for around $110-130 + $20 shipping