1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Earthway Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gicon, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am in the market for a new Earthway Spreader, strictly for laying down rock salt. Does anyone know of the different model numbers and which ones are the best for salt application?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

3. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

The few I looked at on the "earthway" site, all say No Rock Salt!. I too am curious about a decent spreader. Someone told me of a "Diamond" brand spreader. I think Diamond is Meyers now.
    http://www.meyerproducts.com/products/spreaders-hotshot.asp
    The spreader was around $350.00. AgriFab makes them and Salt Dog is another. I really don't know if these are specifically for salt. I want one for magic salt.

hillndale

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I also have a Agrifab 125. It will hold 125lbs. of bulk salt and spread it well. There is no reason why it would not spread magic. Are you looking at bulk or bagged Magic salt.

The difference between the Agrifab and the Earthway, the Earthway has 3 holes in the bottom that you can open and close the space and the Agrifab has one large rectangular opening. When it is open all the way it will spread very well.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have a Earthway for 3 years now. It holds 50 pounds and I have not had a problem with it. I use magic in it without any problems.

Regards Mike

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I will be spreading bagged salt and calcium chloride pellets. I was turned on to the Earthway 2130 as this is their new model this year, specific to rock salt. It is $175. I am not looking to spend more than $200, as I will be lucky to use this 3 times for the whole winter

7. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

What is the difference between bagged vs bulk "magic"? I have access to both. Also, I take it you like the AgriFab better due to the larger opening?

thanks
    Hillndale

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The bagged Magic will have larger pieces of salt and almost no very small or dust like pieces. The bagged salt is the premium salt and the bulk is all the rest of the salt. It is the same as regular bagged and bulk salt, if you have seen both. The bagged salt will be much drier also.

9. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Check out the Meyer Hotshot spreader. My buddy has one, says it works very well.