1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Earthway spreader Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Justin K, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Justin K

Justin K Junior Member

My Earthway Spreader that i just bought will not spread Bagged Rock Salt. The rock salt that i used was called Ice Control from John Deere Landscapes and its seems like the grade of the salt it to big to flow good. Is all Rock salt the same size or is there a different company that offers a smaller grade.

2. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Justin,

As far as Earthway goes you need the 2130 model with the blue hopper for spreading bulk salt. It has a single large slot as opposed to the three smaller holes with the red hopper models.

Dan

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Which one did you buy? I have an Earth-way with the three hole red hopper it it spreads bagged and bulk salt fine make sure you use the strainer. What brand of salt are you buying? I have been buying Morton salt the yellow bag and it works fine, i don't use it very much as i have bought a tailgate spreader, however i still use it for my driveways and sidewalks, anyway look into different style bagged salt. This is what i use http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=EWP-2150SU

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  4. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

I have a 15 year old earthway and yes some rock salt does not spread. I have found a dealer with more graded smaller size gran. and this works fine. I only spread very little rock salt though. Most of the Ice melters work fine.

5. Justin K

Justin K Junior Member

I bought the 2170 Model, the one that holds 100lbs. The bag says Ice Control

6. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i have the same model. I only have a problem if the stuff is wet. I use Diamond Crystal (I think that's the name of it).