1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Earthway 100# Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 2FAST4U, Feb 10, 2008.

1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

As many of you know us in s.e. michigan have a salt shortage and i cant get my ice melt any more, but was able to get a pallet of rock salt and am having some trouble spreading it. I took the agitater(the little pin inside that spins) out like they said but put it back in last night to see if it will help at all, just need some snow to try it. any remarks would be great.

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

They had us take out the pin at one time because it was jamming up in the salt and breaking the gearcases.I know without it though, the salt does,nt get aggitated, so you have to shake the spreader or pick it up and drop it to get the salt to move. So that is the reason for taking out the pin. JOHN
  3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

I went ahead and but the pin back in and got to try it out this moring and it worked great. But I also made a new screen for it because the salt wouldnt go through the factory one. I took a pice of plexly glass and drilled 10 2" holes in it and 10 2-1/4" holes in it, works great to stop to clumped pices of salt and realy lets to salt flow. I'll try and get some pics up for you guys.
  4. ironsales

ironsales Junior Member

I have had a Earthway 2170 for approxiamtely 7 years. Ran it one time without the pin in it. Found out that you need the pin in there for the salt to move through the spreader. Have only had the roll pin in the gear case break once due to a frozen hunk getting in the hopper. Now I carry extra roll pins and cotter pins in the truck every storm in case something breaks. Its a great spreader for doing small lots and getting between/under parked cars. Especially with the poly hopper its real light weight to throw in the back of the truck and holds up great
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008