1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Earth Way Spreader Problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Hambrick & Co., Jan 24, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 50# cap. earthway walk behind spreader and the after several months of use the left tire fell off right in the middle of a job of course. Unfortinetly once the tires comes off the spinner shaft won't spin the disc. After fiddling with it for a while (the spreader) I realized that a cotter pin had fallen out which is located near the inside wheel well. Has anyone had this problem before? Other than replacing the cotter pin are there any lessons learned thay may work better to prevent this from happening again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ironsales

ironsales Junior Member

Hambrick I have an Earthway 2170 100lb capacity and have had this happen. Even though the hopper is poly the pins and bolts are still steel. You need to wash the spreader down after each use. I also carry a small plastic container, similar to a fishing tackle box, that I carry extra cotter pins, bolts, nuts, fuses, ect for quick fixes on the spreaders, snowblower, plow, ect. Take a look at the earthway website www.earthway.com at their manual for exact sizes of cotter pins to have with you. You should also have an extra what earthway calls the agitator pin. The pin that slides through the shaft at the bottom of the hopper. Earthway says to take it out for salt. I tried it once and it would not spread. Needed something in the bottom to move the salt. Nothing worse than being broke down at 2am because of a 10 cent part.

3. ironsales

ironsales Junior Member

Hambrick I have an Earthway 2170 100lb capacity and have had this happen. Even though the hopper is poly the pins and bolts are still steel. You need to wash the spreader down after each use. I also carry a small plastic container, similar to a fishing tackle box, that I carry extra cotter pins, bolts, nuts, fuses, ect for quick fixes on the spreaders, snowblower, plow, ect. Take a look at the earthway website www.earthway.com at their manual for exact sizes of cotter pins to have with you. You should also have an extra what earthway calls the agitator pin. The pin that slides through the shaft at the bottom of the hopper. Earthway says to take it out for salt. I tried it once and it would not spread. Needed something in the bottom to move the salt. Nothing worse than being broke down at 2am because of a 10 cent part.

4. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the link found what I need right away 3/16th x 1'' Cotter pin. Thanks again.