1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

early morning plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcf, Jan 25, 2004.

1. bcf

bcf Senior Member

do you guys ever get complaints about plowing is the wee early morning? The reason I asked is that when I talked to a friend I plow for, he tells me I can't plow people's drive at 3 or 4, I'll wake 'em up. I dont' normally listen to anything this guy says, but it got me thinking. I'm thinking mostly he doesn't know what he's talking about, but it stil got me thinking. Please set me straight. Thanks

SNOBLOMAN Junior Member

I had pretty much the same discussion with one of my friends a little while back. I was snowblowing driveways at like 11:30at night. I was concerned about the neighbors because of the noise of the snowblower. He said, "you can either do it now and keep them up a little longer or you can do it at 3:00am and wake them up early. I think they would rather stay up a little later." So thats what I do. If you dont want me to clean your driveway at night, dont be calling at 4am asking where I am. :nono:
  3. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

personally i dont care if people wake up or not if i am up they should be too its not the nicest way of thinking but ive had it out with one of the tennants of the senior building i own and plow she comes out her front door screaming that its 2 30 in the morning and i have the snowblower on ranting and raving so i shut it off and said look lady its snowing and i have to clear the snow i do it earlier and the snow falls on it and i have to do it again if i wait til morning your already out complaining that i didnt plow if i wait and you fall your going to try and sue me, she wasnt expecting me to yell back but she went inside and i finisned my job
  4. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

i wouldnt hesitate to show up at any time of day just with a plow. i would be a little hesitant to fire up a snowblower at 3:00 am in a residential.

otherwise, screw em. it needs to get done so it might as well be now. ive had people come out and ***** at complexes working with my dad. its pretty simple what i tell them-its snowing and im working. roll up window, push gas-have a nice night.
  5. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I agree with things being said here, if they want to be plowed they will be done when I get there. Each truck or piece of equipment has its route and we have to start at pretty much the same time to get around to everyone.
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

all my plowing is residential. I plow at all hours when necessary to stay ahead of the storm. I don't think i would fire up a snowblower at 3 am but i would never hesitate to plow. People need to understand that there is a snowstorm going on and in order to maintain a "normal way of life" during and after the storm exceptions must be made. You don't see towns worrying about when they plow they have hundreds of streets to get done and could care less what time they hit them has long as they are plowed. People should shut up plows are not that loud to begin with and you can be sure these people woh complain would be the first to call in the morning and say that they have not been plowed. Also if you hire me to do your driveway i will plow your driveway nowhere in my contract does it say that i cant plow at 3 am. I hate people who complain i told two people who called to complain about stupid minor things during our 25" dumping to get there asses out and shovel because i would not be back. Exceptions must be made it all comes with the storm when the town or city decleares a snow emergency you get your car the fu** off the street if not u get towed its that simple there are some inconveinces that come with snowstorms. if everyone plays by the rules makes some sacrifices for 24 hours and helps out eachother nothing associated with snow removal should be a problem. If you cant handle snow go to Florida.
  7. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

No way my customers love hearing me out there cleaning there drives.my one customer is a Doctor and lives to teach at the university at like 4 am and the other ones leave in the early morning hours and all of them want the drives clean when they leave
  8. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

I agree, I do it on my schedule.......not theirs. If I gotta blow snow @ a residential (which is very rare) I do it when I get there, if it's 3 AM or 3 PM it gets done then, or never.

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have no problem on plowing a drive at any hour, I'm not sure if id run a blower in the wee hours though, there are noise ordnances you know.....Rob
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If customers want me to clean their properties, then they have to deal with the times I get there. Never had any complaints so far but if I do, they can find somebody else. I don't have time to be making exceptions for noise.:nono:
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

when the snow stops the res cystomers get done 12:00am 4:00am
  12. apkole

apkole Member

Our contracts specifically state that "for reasons of safety, plowing will normally be done between the hours of 12am-6am, depending on snowfall time and amount". Been our work schedule since 1964. We are usually done with all of our accounts by about 7 a.m. And my personal route is plowed with a '99 Cummins powered Dodge, one of the noisiest of the Dodge Cummins trucks. Haven' t had any complaints yet, and NEVER get calls accusing me of not having been there, no matter how much snow we get after I've plowed.;)

13. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

17 yrs. and never had a complaint. Driveway shouldnt take more then a few minutes, unless you shovel too.
  14. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I have wayyy to many customers to do them all before midnight. Unless they want to wake up to a snow filled driveway, they're going to be hearing a loud scraping noise at 3 am.... However, I'm thinking of getting a poly edge to help lower the noise level.
  15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I'll tell you one thing that gets me. I just installed a set of Pro wings, and man, THESE things are LOUD! I'll still be in during the early morning hours like I always have been, but I'll just be making a bit more noise, I guess.
  16. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I've seen a lot of pro-wings with rubber edges on them, maybe that would help?
  17. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Wings are loud, my buddie has them on his plow and they do alot of rattling around. If you want to quiet things down get your self a rubber ware bar. Myself i feel that i got a job to do and mostly im in and out before they even know i was there. I know if it was me i bet id never even roll over if it was me sleeping.
  18. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a client that I usually do early, cuz they asked me to. So one time I couldn't get to them until 3am. So me being the nice guy that I am I figured I will do them in the morning. So they call me in the morning complaining that the drive is not done, I explain why, they say "it's OK any time is good for us".

You can never make everyone happy, so make yourself happy and do what you need.
  19. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Lets see........:confused: plow dirveways at 3 am. or wait till rush hour? ummmmmmmmm I think 3am sounds good to me, snowblowers and all, after all, alot of my customers need to go to work.