1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Early estimates

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Sharp Charge, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

Hey fellas, hope everyone had a good summer. I still don't have a plow but the wife and I just bought a house so it's gonna be a bit longer.

My question is this: I was talking to my dad today and he told me someone estimated $250 to plow his 2 car drive from Nov-Apr. he was thinking of buying a new blower but if this comes through, it'll be cheaper. it sounds like a good deal to me but I nor my dad has any info on how many clients this driver has, or commercial contracts. Don't know what the trigger is and if multiple trips are all part of his pricing. My dad is a police officer so he can't get trapped at the house if the plow guy is too busy.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I would call the contractor and find out what the trigger is, is there a limit to the number of pushes per season, how often will they come during the event, etc.

These are questions that you should be asking the contractors bidding your driveway.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Don't won't to sound offensive, but why not ask him? Seems most logical. as far as reputation and reliability, I guess you could ask for references or ask around. Problem with references offered by contractor is they will only give you the good ones. I would just call the guy and ask him your questions. If he is an upright businessman he should be more than willing to take 5 minutes on the phone to answer any questions if it is going to line up more work for him.

4. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

Thanks for the quick replies, those are some of the things I did tell my dad to ask, just from me looking around on this site last winter. I guess this was just a blind flyer or that's my understanding any way, I'm not sure if he has talked to him personally or not.