1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Early 80s plow issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ret_PurpleHeart, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Ret_PurpleHeart

Ret_PurpleHeart Junior Member

Nik the new Guy here..
    Googled until my eyes were bleeding. and this site kept coming up for the answers..
    Back ground: recently retired, 20+yrs USMC.. I live down a .9 Mile dirt road. In MidCoast Maine.
    Dad plowed this road for years with an ol Chevy.. My Turn.. 1983 F250 Inline 6. 4X4. Engine strong. Plow strong, some rust..will repair.
    concerns: Need help identifying the plow.
    For 2 reasons:
    1- preventive maintenance - fuel/oil, seals,cables, chain etc.etc
    2- noone seams to know.but The year would be nice. The Name Plate is missing

Any Literature , DOCS, service manuals, diagrams.. would be an awesome help!

What I do know: Fisher Speed cast
    Called the maker of the plow lights-the gave me the Circa - 84-91..lol
    enclosed are few picts, maybe some one has some help? And no I aint throwing it away ..lol

many thanx! and I hope you have a wonderful day... stay warm

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know crap about your plow and thank you for your service

Plowsite is a wealth of information, I'm sure somebody will come along soon and help you. Its still in the offseason for most
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Drive it to a fisher shop and see what they can tell you.
    you might find it hard to get parts for that if it is that old.
    I use Western but it's the same,
    check your lines make sure they are not cracked and still flexible.
    Flush the box and put new fluid in it, should have a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug up top.
    Check your chains and make sure the rust is not eating thru them.
    Looks like you might need a new cutting edge.
    Other than that, I take mine to the shop.

If you are taking that off and on a lot, then you should look at the quick mounts.
    So much easier, drive up into it, pull the handle and lock into place.
    Plug it it in and go.
    No fooling around trying to get a pin in -(yeah I had a older one when I started and what a pain, I never took it off during the winter).

You don't have to buy new, look for some used.

Good Luck.
  5. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

I'M no plow expert, but I had a 1985 dodge ram 250 snow commander with a FISHER SPEEDCAST plow set up that looked just like that.

Sorry, I just re-read your post and saw that you already know its a speedcast.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Ret_PurpleHeart

thanx every one! .. ANY advice on a good brand/ style /type for fluid to use? Heard that John Deer is what i want?
    Also, the lines need to be replaced.. not to sure where to pick them up for purchase. ?..
    Unfortunately no driving / road trips.. for it yet. I called Fisher HQ, here in Maine.. The guy on the phone said
    " sorry bub, the only one who could identify that plow, just retired.." So.. Google kept popping up this blog..
    I will keep searching and listening.. need to buy a fwd section of the rear leaf hangers anyways,.
    but ALL of your advice is extremely welcome..
    we have a pool going on how many trees i will hit this year..lol..
    I just want to PM the plow. i wish you all warmth..
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Take the hoses to a hydro shop and have them make them.
    Use atf
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

plowed one just like that, Any atf fluid will work.Any hydro hose will work ,just have them made the same size. As for the control cables make sure they are straight as possible or they will snap inside the casing.
  9. LON

LON Senior Member

1st - THANK YOU for your service! By your name I take it you are a wounded veteran. Our youngest son is signed up in delayed entry to the Army. He heads to Ft Benning June 24th.

Your plow hitch is an AL256 conventional mount. Can see a parts breakdown here by typing the number in - http://library.fisherplows.com/esearch.asp#searchStart

Blade is an L series - look up 7657 if it is a 7.5ft or 7658 if it is an 8ft.

Hydraulics # HPS4544B & A4468-40.
  10. Ret_PurpleHeart

LON- wow! thanx!-- and good luck to your boy!! its a calling! he will love it! i was wounded in 09- spent about 9 months in the hospital- still managed to make it to my 20... he will love it!

Also..I took everyone's advice.. I found a guy on Ebay, come to find out live 45 min away..specialized in NOS old plows..lmao.. looks like Fisher just gave him all their 80s stuff still in the wrapper.. tons of stuff still in bags..
    he hooked me up with a joy stick, and hoses..
    also- he mentioned to use a little "STP" in fuild?? any one heard of this?? he said for old plows they get hot, and this helps..
    will keep you posted!