1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Earliest Snow for 60 yrs in UK

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Tacr2man, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

Hi, all as it says this is teh earliest snowfall in England for 60 yrs upto 5" on some northern hills . This pic is this a.m. not far from Stratford on Avon .

Napton Warwickshire.jpg
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hope you stay longer here. We would like to see some snow plowing pictures from across the Pond!:drinkup:
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Ditto. Thanks for sharing
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

cool, those are some nice rolling country hills. are they separated by hedges or stone?

what kind of vehicle and plow do you use?
  5. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

Global warming my a**!;)
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

all this snow got me giddy:blush2:
  7. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

8. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

another UK pic

Heres another from this morning from down south, the previous would have hedges in between fields , Will post some plow pics as soon as I get the chance fingers crossed

Four Elms Kent 291008.jpg
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Any equipment pictures?
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

with the girls it goes the other way... i get them all giddied up lol ..... would like to see equip pics tooo.. good call gv
  11. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

Havent got the plow mounted , just yet, as swapping over vehicles.
    Its a very different scene here, virtually no private plowing , The highways authorities do about 95% . The local councils hire in farmers with front loaders etc if they cant cope.
    which usually means that if its very bad weather, it doesnt get sorted very quick.
    It used to be different about 20 years back , they used to get tenders in for the winter season , from people with the equipment that could do the job properly,i.e. with plows .
    I used to have a vehicle recovery (tow trucks) business , and had 10ft blade plow on 4x4 bedford ex army 9000lb payload wrecker truck, and a V plow on a 6x6 ex army guntractor ( 47,000lb unladen) wrecker truck. . They get more snow up north, Im located in the centre not far from Oxford . pic at top is like highways authorities use will try and get some more pics soon

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Cool truck and beautiful pics.

Al Gore is laughing his butt off the whole way to the bank with his scam. And some actually believed it.
  13. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Grandview has such a way with words. Nice truck and pics. I guess a ford is equivalent to a Mercedes truck over there?
  14. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Cool pics. Nice to see some different equipment and trucks from time to time.
  15. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

I dont care what they are. these come equipped with snorkels ready to play!!! :bluebounc
  16. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Nice pictures!
  17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Thats weird, I was born in England and for the 16 years i lived there i think it snowed 4-5 times. IT was always 50-60 and raining.

Oh and very cool truck
  18. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

Superior L&L
    yes, its usually still wetter rather than supercold, having said that, the bad winters seem to go in about 20 year cycles eg 47 , 63, 87, so we are about due for one .
    The coldest Ive known was 18f not taking into account windchill. Here are acouple of highways authority plow pics

econ plow.gif

19. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

couple of truck pics

Here is pic of the guntractor/wrecker that I had the V plow on no pics with the plow but the tops of the wings were level with the fender tops when in the plowing position its powered by a Rolls Royce Straight 8 , with 4 speed main gearbox and 3 speed joey and is 6x6 drive . fitted with 45,000lb winch Would plow 4ft of snow at constant 30mph no probs although rarely needed that capability . if I should have posted in equip please say or move

martianpainted .jpg
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic