1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Earliest Event In Your Town ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Santo, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Santo

Santo Banned

When was the earliest plowable event in your town? I can remember October 10 , 1979. Looking out 5th grade classroom window, and watching older brother doing doughnuts in school parking lot with his friends in an early model impala.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

May 5th, 1967. Stanton, Iowa - where I grew up.

Just not sure if it was early for the next or late from the last winter.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

October 4, 1988

12"

"Snowleaf"

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Oct 31, 1994. We had 12" of the white stuff. Too bad I didn't have a plow yet and was still in school.:realmad:

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here. I heard that it was a catastrophe storm. I did not remember much of it since I was only a little kid at that time.

I wonder if there was actually any plowing done because I image that it would be nearly impossible with all those trees, branches, wires, etc. everywhere, blocking just about every road.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I fixed the date, don't know how the 12th got there, I thought for sure I put 4th.

Anyway, lots of trees and wires down, we were without power for 4 days and were some of the lucky ones. Others were out for 10 days.

Plowing was difficult due to the trees and branches, but heavy plows were often effective at removing them too.

7. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

October 31st, 1991 30" I was young, but I won't forget needing four-wheel-drive to go trick-or-treating!!

8. Santo

Santo Banned

Snowleaf???

9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

12" July 4th 1996??????????

I have photos somewhere of fireworks and snow!

10. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I was in Breckenridge, CO on that July 4th. (about 70 miles away from my normal customer base) We had about 8-9 inches. It would have been plowable. We got about 5 inches at home but it wasn't plowable, just on the grass. 1996 went on to be the best year in our history. We actually had over 200 inches of snow on one of our customers lots. They say that weather is on a 7 yr cycle... Hope, hope hope !!:bluebounc purplebou

11. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Weatherman says either tomorrow or Thursday!

12. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Same here Rodger Dodger. The weather guesser's say wet snow Wednesday night into Thursday!!! :cool:

13. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Earliest I have plowed around here was a freak storm in early Nov., I think it was the 9th. We got 3" of wet snow!

I Have seen snow as early as October 3rd, but not enough to plow.

Chuck B.

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Snowleaf is what the media named the storm. The leaves were still on the trees and as a result collected the wet snow that fell, the branches couldn't support the weight and broke. The woods sounded like a war zone with all the popping of wood, the deer weren't right the rest of the season.

15. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

16. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

January 1st :jester: :D

17. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

We have had many Mid october events here, not sure of exact dates, but plowing on halloween or before is not uncommon. Calling for snow here tonight, dont think a measurable amount ground is still to warm

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Good one. Shows mental agility.

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I remember trick-or-treating as a youngster with snow falling. I don't think it stuck to anything other than some dried leaves and bushes. I think at the current rate of weather degredation, we could see snow here before the end of november, which is usually unlikely.

20. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I remember that storm in October 1988 very well.

I was working on the farm near me doing all the milking at that time and the boss had left for Ireland the day before for the 1st vacation he'd had in many years.

He had 55 head of registered Holstein's that needed to be milked every day,twice a day.

I was not about to do it by hand so,we had to rent a big diesel generator to run the milking machines and the compressors for the holding tanks. Didn't get the normal power back on for a week.

Dan