1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60H wont lower

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by AFM Contracting, Jan 13, 2007.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

just got everything hooked up yesterday, and it all worked fine, except when the blade was all the way up it was slow when I angled left and right. I left the whole unit on the truck and this morning I took the truck, made about 5 stops and everything was fine, dropped the blade every time and had no problems, then after my last stop, (just around the corner) while I was driving the blade was slowly angling left on its own. I thought nothing of it and parked my truck so I could take everything off and change the fluid, and now it wont go down, the float light comes on but it dosent move! what could this be?

2. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

i just went outside to figure out how to change the fluid while the plow is up and i pressed the down button and it went right down. WTF, and how do I prevent this from happening again when im plowing a lot in the middle of the night?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Double check your connection at the pump on the "A" coil (black wire) to be sure the connection's good. If all look's good pull the "A" coil off the valve and remove the valve and clean it with some kerosene or solvent. Push in on the end of the valve with a small pick or screwdriver to see if the spool in the valve feel's OK. Be sure to re check the fluid level in the pump when your done too.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would do a fluid flush and fill. Sounds like there is water in system, which froze while plowing.

5. LON

LON Senior Member

I agree. And don't forget to flush the cylinders as they will have water as well. I add a teaspoon of isopropyl dry gas to the oil as well to take care of any remaining water.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You might look for the source of the water. do you have weepy or leaking rams? remember if it weeps fluid out it can suck water in.

7. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

I was going to do a fluid flush / change and thats when it happend. I have the meyer repair / maintinance book but the directions to do a fluid flush are terrible. can anyone give me some better guidance. Also I called the local dealer and they said all u do is change the fluid, there is no need for a flush and dont sell the cleaner... There MUST be a cleaner. Also, can I use hydraulic fluid from a small dump truck... there is a picture of a plow on the front

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Meyer recommends using naphtha to flush the system. Do not use kerosene as it is paraffin based and can gum up the system. I do my flushes with the power unit on my bench. I alway pull the top cap to visualize the sump to see if there is any sludge.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer makes a excellent flush, called Hydra-flush it's maybe their best product.

10. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

HELP... I think there was water in the system

I procrastinated and I f@#$ed up. Everything still works the same, but the cap is cracked. I just noticed it tonight. It looks bad, but I hope I can fix it. Does anyone know if that part is available?

new truck 030.jpg

11. Whip

Whip Member

You can get the cap as a replacement assembly. Grab a new relief valve also. After reading your opriginal complaint, and now seeing this, your relief valve isn't venting properly and cracking/breaking the cap was the only way the air could escape. Seen this all too many times. Also make sure the plow doesn't drop too fast or you'll be buying another cap.

12. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

actually the plow is dropping just right... could even go faster in my opinion... or are you saying once I replace these parts it will drop fast?

13. LON

LON Senior Member

I suspect either one of 2 possibilities. First comes from stacking snow where the plow can come up, hit the lift arm and force it up & out of its' normal operating range. The 2nd and most likely is that the pressure relief valve is way above the 2500psi range. I've seen the E-60 above 3000psi numerous times. Check your cap studs to see they aren't bent. Replace cap and have the pressure checked.
    Lon

14. Whip

Whip Member

I can't say as I'm not there but if it drops too fast, the air can't escape through the relief valve fast enough and cracks the cap.