1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 wont lift

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jtaylor00, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jtaylor00

jtaylor00 Junior Member

Last year I bought a Meyer e60 plow setup. As soon as I installed it I knew there was something wrong. The pump works fine with no plow weight. Put on the plow and it will only lift enough to squat the truck a bit. I took the power unit to a local Meyers repair shop and had it rebuilt. It pressure and bench tested fine. Reinstalled it on the truck and samething only squats the truck a bit. The angle works fine. Not sure what to do next. My only thought is one of two things the pump inside the unit is going bad a not making the pressure required or the pressure is set to low. I plan to che k the pressure tomorrow in the mean time I thought I'd ask for an suggestions.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

check for the frame binding somewhere....

3. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

When it lifts does it seem to strugle or just stop? Also check your power and ground connections coming out of the harness. What controller are you using?

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If the unit tested OK on the bench, then the problem is PROBABLY insufficient current to run the motor. Replace the cables as follows;
    1) From the battery + to the solenoid.
    2) From the solenoid to the pump +.
    3) From the battery - to the pump.

Regarding #3: TWO things are commonly done that results in a poor negative connection to the pump;
    1) No negative cable at all, relying soley on the contact between the pump base and the bolt, through the truck's frame, and the existing (probably inadequate) negative connection between chassis and negative.
    2) Running a cable straight from the pump base to the closest part of the frame.

Another problem with negative connection is NOT CLEANING the contact before installing the cable. All of these can and do result in poor pump motor performance.

Finally, of course, there is the possibility that the main solenoid itself could be conducting poorly. Replace it if there is any question of its condition.

If the problem isn't electrical, then it may be hydraulic. If the pump is NOT FULL, the pump motor could be sucking on air. Air does not work so good in hydraulic cylinders. With the lift cylinder fully COMPRESSED (down), fill the hydraulic fluid TO THE TOP. Then try lifting. If it lifts, cycle it left and right a few times, then lower and fully compress lift cylinder again, refill again to the top. Repeat as needed until the reservoir remains full to top with cylinder fully compressed.

Another problem I've had with plow pumps is with water collecting in the angle cylinders. If this happens, then some of that water could be pushed up into the pump. If you get water in your pump and it freezes, it will plug up the intake screen, which is in the bottom of the reservoir. The best fix for this is to completely clean the whole system, but in a pinch, a few spoon fulls of gas line antifreeze into the pump reservoir should clear it up. I always keep gas line antifreeze on hand for plows.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

gas line antifreeze like Heet

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

what type plow are you using?
    different plows use different mounting cartons.

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I'd say its your packing cup #6. But you need to determine if its a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" shaft. Usually the shops install a basic seal kit and deem it rebuilt. What the don't do is replace that packing cup.That's what happened to me several years back. After being charged about $900 for a rebuild, a month later the packing cup went bad. Usually an indication is the shaft will lower by itself. This is an easy fix you can do your self. Call Chuck @ Smith's and he will hook you up.
    http://www.meyere-60.com/meyer-e-60-exploded-view-parts-list.html