1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 won't go right

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 69gscalifornia, Dec 27, 2011.

1. 69gscalifornia

69gscalifornia Junior Member

I have a Meyers STP7.5 with a E60 pump setup and touchpad that I have been using for several years on my Suburban. When I hooked it up for the first time this season I found that it wouldn't angle to the right. Pushing left or right buttons, it always goes left. Up and down works fine.

I switched the red and green leads at the pump and hit the Up button on the touchpad and the right angle works when hooked up that way. From searching other posts it appears this means my problem is electrical, not mechanical. What should my next troubleshooting steps be?

Also, was reading that I should be able to hook the left and right rams together with the hose and push the plow blade back to center when troubleshooting. As soon as I try to push the blade back to center it pressurizes the coupler on the right ram and I can't uncouple it without pushing the blade back to the right. I'm guessing this is a separate issue that would be fixed by replacing the coupler, or could the two problems be related?

Thanks!

Ken

2. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

for the pressure when troubleshooting the rams (when they are connected to each other), shake it left and right when you reach center. it should even out the pressure.

A valve controls the down/float position
    B valve controls the up position
    C valve controls the right angling position.

Left angling is direct feed from the pump, so it has neither a valve nor coil. if the C valve (green wire) is stuck in the closed position, engaging the controller either left or right will result in the blade moving left only.

Chances are that your driver's side ram has a couple pieces of o-rings or back-ups (square o-rings) from your C valve in it, which is causing the restriction that's allowing it to build pressure when you're troubleshooting the angling rams while they're connected to each other. I would suggest watching the below video and flushing the angling rams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExkJLPGqw8

-Pat

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

4. 69gscalifornia

I did try pushing the right button when I had the red and green wires swapped and it would not raise the plow. I'll start tracing the green wire back and see what I find, if all looks good I'll see if I can borrow another controller to try.

I had the pump apart last season after breaking the top plate so that was all cleaned and flushed, but I haven't flushed out the rams themselves. I did watch the video link and that job looks easy enough.

I still have the ball style quick connects, it's almost time to replace the hoses so I'll look into replacing the quick connects when I buy new hoses.

Thanks for the tips!

Ken

5. kimber750

How did you break the top plate? Only ask because if the pressure relief is too high it can actually push the lift ram up threw the top plate.

6. 69gscalifornia

I had mounted the A-arm in the lower set of holes on the plow frame instead of the top set of holes. When mounted in this position it didn't hit the stops on the lift, thus the top plate took the full force and broke in two. As long as I put the pins in the top set of holes I'm good.

7. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

You could have a failed "C" coil, as I've said. but more than likely you have a failed "C" valve. it could just simply be stuck...but that will require draining your pump, and removing the valve to find out.

I've had them stick from sitting, and to fix simply had to remove the valve, and use a very small punch with a hammer to tap the armature into the armature housing. That said, it's not likely that there is much life left in an armature/armature housing once it starts sticking.

8. kimber750

He said it angled right when he switched the red and green wires and would not go up then. Showing that the valves are fine. He has bad connection or bad controller.

9. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

oops lol. missed that. before buying a new controller, maybe check all connections...

10. 69gscalifornia

Update...Thanks to your help it's fixed!

I finally had time to warm up the garage and look at the wiring today. Found two connectors under the dash, one at the end of the controller and another at the firewall. The firewall connector was loose and pushing it back together was all it took to get the right angle working again.

Thanks again!

Ken

11. kimber750

:mechanic:Thumbs Up