1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 vs E47 for 7.5' plow blade?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dave_dj1, Dec 6, 2010.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I bought a 7.5' blade and a classic EZ mount, made a carton for my old ford. I have NO wiring except for the lights, the mount came with an E60 but after pulling it apart tonight, it is pretty junked up. I have access to a E47 for cheap, would it do? I can take my time and rebuild the E60 . I can wire either pump easily so that is a non-issue.
    I would like to buy a refurbished E60 but the cash is not available right now.

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

E47 would work just fine , providing it is in good shape and the pressures test good on it .

Be sure it is a good functioning /working pump before you lay out the cash , might just be cheaper in the long run to go through your E60 , if the E47 is junked up also you will now have to put $$ into two pumps.

TOM

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

well I had the E47 given to me today so I guess I'm not out much if it is non-functional!
    I didn't have a chance to look it over good yet but hoping to get to it tomorrow night.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

After a good cleaning (rinse and pumped some kero through it) I reasembled the E47 and bench tested it, it worked!!
    I then hooked it all up on the truck and it works extremely well, I'm impressed, I thought it would be slower just judging it by size compared to the E60.
    I am now going to tear the E60 apart and give it a once over and a good cleaning, after working on the 47, I have new confidence that I can get the 60 going without too much trouble. I already have the new motor for the E60.
    Thanks to everyone on here and all the good available info:mechanic:

5. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

I had an E47 on mine originally and it worked well, after 2 seasons it started leaking from the top seal and a couple of the valves were leaking and 1 was sticking. So long stroy short I stumbled across the opportunity to pick up a brand new E60 for $500 so I jumped on it swapped it out and then sold the E47 for $400 as was. So i've got $100 in an E60 :) But I am also running wings as well.

6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

did you notice a huge difference between the two?

7. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

If I recall correctly the E60 horizontal design is prone to taking it water and not letting it escape. If you use it you should search for ways to remede this. I have an E47 myself so don't know the details. I believe an E60 should be faster, I think it has the same size pump and motor as the E57/58, which an upgrade from the E47. I find my E47 fast enough but if the pump or motor goes I will swith both over to the E57.

8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Not to scare you but meyers recomends that if you flush the system with kero you must flush it again with a NON WAX cleaner (napthenic). regular kero has perifin in it. it leaves a waxy residue.

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

How would the kero hurt anything, it's a petrolium product after all. Does all Kero have the parafin? I used K1 clear. I could flush it again by just changing out the trans fluids.

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Yes K-1 has paraffin in it. After flushing the entire system(angle rams too) with naptha, refill using plow fluid, not ATF. ATF is thicker and does not have deicing agents in it.

11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

The paraffin can gum up all the ports and valves in the plow and cause them to stick.