1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 Slow Leak, Not working

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by v8motorcycleman, Oct 22, 2011.

1. v8motorcycleman

v8motorcycleman Junior Member

New to the forum and plowing. I bought an older truck with the Meyer 7.5 ST and the E60 already on it. I have had everything powdercoated and putting it back together. I recall seeing the pump work when I bought it but right now it is giving me fits.

The pump was lifting up but also pulling left. I read through the manual and found that the coil or valve may be bad so I bought A, B, and C valves and coils and installed today. It fixed the pulling left; however, when the pump lifts up, it sometimes slowly falls to the ground or it quickly drops and is not consistent. When I was working to diagnose, I was lifting the plow and I saw a couple sparks come from where lifting arm meets the frame. The pump is grounded directly to the battery so I am confused why it would spark and all electrical connections are sealed. After a few times going up and down, the pump seemed like just wanted to quit and then everything just stopped like it wasn't getting juice. The motor does nothing. I replaced the solenoid and it did nothing still. I only hear the solenoid click when I push the remote. Is my motor bad? Do I have a grounding issue? Is my pump seized?

I'm a little above my head at the moment. In short, I need to figure out why the blade would come down despite having new o-rings on a brand new 'A' cylinder. Then, I need to figure out why my motor isn't running. Any suggestions?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Did you put new valves in? Did you change fluid and filters? Blade falling could be A valve, bad seals, or possible crack in PA block. Very possible motor is shot, try tapping on it lightly. If you can get it to run by tapping on it you will better off with a new motor.

The sparks? I have no idea, unless you have a bad connection somewhere.

3. v8motorcycleman

I put the valves in after I drained and filled the entire unit and put new hydraulic fluid in. At rest (both ram arms equal distant and ram rod down) the fluid is within range. I cleaned the filters. I don't think it is the A valve because I put the old A valve back in and it did the exact same thing.

What is a PA block? I have a full seal kit and am possibly looking at doing a full overhaul but scared of the cross over relief valve.

4. kimber750

Dont be afraid of the crossover, just be sure you follow instructions in the service manual. PA block is the part the B and C valve are in. If you decide to rebuild look for cracks in the PA block and sump base. One hard part of the E60 is the check ball behind the actual pump. I use a thin piece of metal with 90 degree bend to hold it in place while putting pump back in.

5. v8motorcycleman

Due to my lack of experience with hydraulics...I'm debating on buying a rebuilt unit from e-bay. I have the 7.5 ST blade and wondering if a unit like an E-47 would work or do i need to go back with an E-60?

6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

an E47 will be fine.

7. v8motorcycleman

I cleaned up all the grounds and the motor was still giving me fits. I took the back cover off and made the discovery. I looks like the pump sat in water and there was a lot of junk sitting in the motor. I cleaned it up and blew the engine out, reinstalled, and works great. I'm sure there is a little damage in there but I'll work with it. Anyne know where I can get a new bolt to hold the motor on? One broke off and I had to tap the line again.

So, now it comes down to putting all new o-rings in the unit. If I do an overhaul to fix the blade dropping, do I need to replace the cross over valve? Can that be a culprit? What would I look for in the sump base to determine if it is bad and needs to be replaced?

8. kimber750

Main causes for blade creeping down are:

Bad A valve

Bad seal at bottom of lift ram

Bad o-ring on lift tube.

Crossover valve is to protect the pump when hit something with blade angled.