1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 repair question, Welding lift base?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by z_scapes, Dec 23, 2010.

1. z_scapes

z_scapes Junior Member

I was trucking up the parkway, doing 65MPH when I hit a bump......... YOu all know how this ended!
    Now my top plate is busted and I ordered a new one but once I got the pump apart I could see that the threaded studs (1 of 3) had pulled the threads out of the lift base. I know this is cast aluminum but can it be welded sufficiently to hold the pressure of the pump? This will require tapping and rethreading the base threads but I have to ask if you think this will work? the damage is pretty minor and just extends about 3/4 inch to each side of the threaded hole on one of the 3 threaded holes.
    Not sure if its worth a shot or if I'm wasting my time.

If not maybe someone out there has an extra pump lift base that will go on my E60?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tough to get the tank to seal properly there is more required then just drilling/tapping the holes.

3. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Find a good weldor and get it welded, what have you got to lose? I have an old E47 base here that was damaged beyond repair that I plan to play with at the welding bench one of these days. (I have both Tig and Mig equipment for aluminum here.)

Biggest thing with aluminum is getting it CLEAN....however, don't sandblast it or anything like that, as small particles will embed into the aluminum. I'm going to try to remove the paint from this one, then place it in an oven at 250-350 for an hour or so to burn out any oil etc that is left behind. Regardless, I would talk to the weldor first and see what they recommend.

4. z_scapes

z_scapes Junior Member

My welder is my cousin and he's very proficient at TIG, the question is how much pressure does this one stud withstand? does the stud have to hold the pressure the pump is producing, eg 2500 PSI?