1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 Ram Blues. . .again

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by marblehead, Feb 9, 2010.

1. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Have an ol' E60 Plow which has served us well over the many years despite needing frequent maintenance/repair, mostly in the electro-hydraulic world. This season, TWICE, the base of the ram has fractured and snapped, rendering the entire unit worthless! Costs about $300.00 each time, they've D/C's the original unit and WILL NOT consider warranty. The fracture, again, occurs right at the large mounting base that has the approximately 1" diameter bolt passing through it. TWICE broken! Anybody out there had such a problem and anybody have any ideas on a more permanent, less costly fix? We're a non-profit and can't afford such repeated failures (as if anybody could!!!). I suspect torsional stress on the ram due to a worn plow frame but am not certain as I know they're also designed to have some wobble to them to reduce the very thing that's occurred. Any input would be appreciated!:yow!:

2. LON

LON Senior Member

Does the plow somehow contact the unit?
    Noticed that it brokes only when stacking snow?
    Is it a freeze & brake kind of occurance?
    Many varibles can come into play.
    First thing I'd do is put a floor jack under the blade, jack the plow up and see if there is any contact between the plow and lift unit before the plow comes up against the stops.

3. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thank you!

Thanks for your kind reply and, no, there is no evidence of the actual blade contacting the ram lift unit/assembly behind it. We have lifted the blade with a floor jack and checked its swing, both vertically and left/right, and no interference, ruling out that possibility. It is possible that it is braking when stacking snow but we've used this unit for over 10 years and never had this problem until recently, suggesting to me either a faulty/defective lower ram unit housing and/or excessive wear torsionally on the plow frame assembly.
    Please, any further thoughts/ideas/hypotheses are most welcome and I'm very grateful for your input!
    Thanks,
    Steve

4. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

How tight was the bottom bolt?

5. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thank you, again! The bottom bolt was tight/snug against the housing but there was/is some definite wiggling within the housing/frame and the bottom ram eye. . .Do you believe that the unit is NOT to wiggle/wobble at that end of the mounting and that this is perhaps the cause of the breakage?

6. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

No, you want some wiggle at the bottom bolt. This lets the plow motor pivot freely when raising and lowering the plow. I see a lot of guys crank the bottom bolt as tight as it will go so that there is NO wiggle, therefore the plow motor cannot pivot freely, and then they wonder why the base breaks at the bottom bolt mount.:dizzy:

7. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Gratitude

Thanks further for you input on this issue. Yeah, the bolt, while snug, still allows that lower part of the ram to wiggle, so I don't think that's the problem. I wlll say that the aluminum casting of the lower ram unit is a pitifully poor one, heavily pitted and, in my opinion, vulnerable (duh!). Perhaps this is why Meyer D/C'd these particular rams but they're not owning up to that as our local dealer/vendor has tried to advocate for a warranty repair. They're playing "hard ball" with them, leaving us in the lurch. In any case, I was curious (and will remain so) if there's any kind of breakage pattern out there with these units. . .:dizzy:

8. LON

LON Senior Member

Haven't seen a E-60 break around the bolt hole without it first having wacked a deer! Seen top caps blow apart from high pressure.

9. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Further help. . .

No deer, no elk in the gunsights! Anybody know of an alternative idea/vendor to replacing the lower ram housing via Meyer? Man, they're pricey- prohibitively so:realmad:

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

When I have seen broken lower mounting holes on E-60s I have always found that the lift arm holes are egg shaped(worn). Also the pump was left on the truck during the off season, causing quicker wear to the mounting locations.
    On the lift arm the hole at the pivot point(closest to truck) wears the quickest. I have had several of the lift arms pivot holes over drilled and sleeved. This appears to fix the problem.
    Also I see many people using bolts that leave threads inside the bracket hole causing the hole to quickly wear...

11. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thank you for these tips, which I will investigate further! Worn mounting holes = greater slop/wiggle = breakage due to excessive torsional stresses. Perhaps so and stand by. . .Nice to have some ideas that I can check out directly that could make a difference.

12. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Funny you should mention that, my brother hit a deer with his truck last week, broke his E60 at the bottom bolt. Sheared the whole lug off!

"I wlll say that the aluminum casting of the lower ram unit is a pitifully poor one, heavily pitted and, in my opinion, vulnerable (duh!)."

--This is true... which is why these bases are susceptible to wear and breakage. Nature of the beast I guess...:(

13. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

I'd be curious to know how his repair went. Did he replace the entire ram, only replace the lower body, did he do it via a Meyer-based dealer and therefore, a Meyer proprietary part replacement? Was the cost around $300.00 lkes ours have been, TWICE? If you've that info, I'd be grateful to see how others are suffering out there!
    Thanks,
    Steve

14. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I think he's going to buy a new base, and i'll be the one rebuilding the unit. My dad and I have a buddy that is a Meyer dealer and we usually get a good price from him.

15. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Any interest in brokering a connection with this buddy? If not, I certainly understand but I can surely rebuild the unit as they're not that complicated and I/we are definitely interested in cutting costs, especially if this is going to happen with some regularity. . . I certainly understand if you're not comfortable with this idea and will respect any decision you make.
    Thanks again!

16. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I would have no problem with that, but he's not too keen on me dishing out his number.

17. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Okay

Thanks for your kind reply and I certainly understand his wish to remain out of the loop that way. I'm actually considering replacing the whole D/C'd ram unit with the apparently newer, E-58H recommended Ram/Pump. I'm wondering if it's somehow stronger, especially in that bottom area that I'm so concerned about?:dizzy:

18. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Crime Scene Investigation!

For anyone that's interested, here's a few pics of the "crime scene," the broken pump/ram unit. Still don't know why this has happened twice now this season. . .:gunsfiring:

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

19. adino1954

adino1954 Junior Member
    from ct

Good afternoon. It appears to me that when you are stacking the blade is hitting the pump especially when angled to the right. you can accually see the yellow paint marks on th lower black mount and the lift arm as well. also there are gouges in the valve body.i see that your lower stops are missing and someone put a piece of strap steel in its place:gunsfiring:

20. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thanks for your observations and I'll look into the ideas you have. You really could be on to something here as this plow's been in our use for over 10 years and we've had nothing else to compare it to so didn't even know that there were lower stops that existed!!!!