1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 questions

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by black2door, Jul 22, 2008.

1. black2door

black2door Junior Member

Hi guys, I have a 1989 F150 with a 7.5' Meyer with the E60 pump on it. The truck and plow have been sitting for 6 years. I got the truck going fine, but the the pump just clicks when I hit the up down buttons. What could be wrong? I havent hooked the plow to the truck yet, but wouldnt the pump go up and down anyway?

Also, should I go through the pump and motor before I use it. (change fluid and seals and stuff)

THANKS

Heres some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Start with the 12volt motor solenoid, also clean all the power connections, make sure it has good ground and 12 volt power. If the units been sitting you need to clean all the connections and change the fluid and di-electric (fluid film) everything.

If you are not familiar with the Meyers pump, they are fairly simple. There are manuals and CD's online everywhere. It would not hurt to refresh this unit, throw a rebuild kit at it. Give it fresh seals, and cleaning the tank, sump and base, maybe new couplers and check the hoses for cracks or other possible failure. Don't forget to drain the angle cylinders, and from the pics you should think about replacing the lift piston.

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And judging by your pic, a new lift ram as well... looks rather rusty.

Rust = trouble later.

4. black2door

black2door Junior Member

On the ram, that rust wiped off with some WD40 and a rag.

Thanks for the advice.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Wiped off with-out leaving pits? those little pits in the chrome shaft will eat those nice new seals.

6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Sounds like bad power to me. Like B said check grounds and connections.

But with the condition of that unit it could be a froze up motor too or who knows.

When was the last time that deal saw action? Looks like a while.

7. black2door

black2door Junior Member

6 years ago. I figured it would still work, maybe I am wrong?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

My thoughts exactly. See it over and over again. Guys change the wiper and O-ring....then run a pitted lift ram through them. They then wonder why the seals don't last and cant figure out where the water is getting in. If it has any pits at all, replace it if you need it as dependable as it can be.

The very problem thats plagues the E60's to this very day...moisture intrusion in the motor creating internal corrosion.

6 years of no use is way too long for an E60 if it's been in the elements that long. Best bet is to tear it down for a full rebuild...be sure to factor in the cost of a replacement motor as well.

9. black2door

black2door Junior Member

How much is a replacement motor?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Appox $100-$150 for an aftermarket one...

And $200-$240 for a genuine Meyer motor.

11. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I care for my E60. Dismount it each spring and it sits indoors and last fall my motor froze and I had to replace it. I was pretty surprised.

I cant understand how a ram can get pitted though. Thats just abuse and neglect in my opinion and theres no reason for it.

Now that unit above obviously sat outside for theose six years so thats different, but a regularly used piece should never have damaged rams. I dunno. Maybe Im wrong but its never a problem I see. I see everything else but that. lol

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  12. black2door

black2door Junior Member

I take great care of all my equipment, but this one was sitting at my aunts house 45 minutes away for 6 years. If it had been in my hands, that thing would be spotless.

Ill work on it a little and see if I can get her going.

13. black2door

black2door Junior Member

OK, so I went out and went through the connections and got it to work. The thing will go up pretty fast, but it wont go down unless I put my weight on it, is that normal?

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yes, it does not have down pressure. it goes down by gravity and the weight of the plow.

15. black2door

black2door Junior Member

Ok, so its normal for it not to go down without weight on it?

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

that's correct

17. black2door

black2door Junior Member

Cool thanks guys. Im gonna drain the fluid sometime and see what I find.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck and don't forget to remove and clean the filters as well.