1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 pump with a V plow?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Moose's Mowing, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

I currently have a 7-6" ST blade tube mount/classic whatever. I just rebuilt it and it's in fine shape, but it's too light duty for parking lots. I found a V plow at the local shop for 1500. I want to upgrade to something, but I don't really want to swap the mounts or any wiring. I have an E60 pump on it currently. Wondering if I could keep everything the same and just swap the blades and a new controller? The controller I have now sucks anyway, it's the little square box type with Up, Down, Left, Right.I doubt the E60 would work but thought I'd ask.

If you have any other suggestions that'll work for me let me know. The 7-6 is good for driveways, but even then it's a tad light. I found a couple C8's on c-list for dirt cheap but need some love to make them right. I'd love to have a V plow though. Here's a link to the one I'm thinking about.
    http://www.storksauto.com/index.php/8-5-meyer-ez-vector-v-plow-classic-tube-mount-blade.html

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No, E60 is not designed to operate a v plow. You would need a V66, V70 or newer version E72. Will also need a control harness. All of this Storks should have.

3. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

Well I just read Meyers had a recall in that v plow. Guess ill stick with fining a C8. Kind of disappointed with Meyers. I was plowing with a guy this weekend that was running a blizzard. It mighta been a speedwing, not sure. Had the two moveable side wings/scoops. That thing did an amazing job compared to the Meyers I was running. I'm half tempted to tear the whole Meyers set up off my truck and get something completely different. This Meyers plow I have has been nothing but trouble from day one

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I've had an st on a 2500 since 01 and its never been too "light duty" for me

5. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

You cant compare your older ST setup to a new Blizzard setup..... Meyer has much better products currently than the old C/ST setups which were discontinued in 09... You can also do a Meyer "facelift" package... and upgrade to a Lotpro-8 moldboard.. and retain your mounting system at a much lesser cost than new. If you don't like the square touchpad... why don't you purchase a new pistol grip?? Much better ergonomically, and there is an adapter so it will plug right in to your current square plug. ussmileyflag

6. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

I'll check in to that. I was in to the shop the other week when I needed a new plow rib for the ST. I asked about just a new moldboard, no A frame or anything and the price seemed really high, at least for me. I was wondering about the control pad also, wasn't sure if it'd plug in to my current harness or not. But now I know, thanks. The pistol grip does seem much better. Anything has got to be better than that stupid box that doesn't fit anywhere. I'll pop in to the shop and see what they have for me. I just feel like it'll be throwing good $ after bad trying to fix up my current setup. But I'd hate to tear the entire set up off if I don't have. Maybe I should buy a whole new truck LOL.

Anyone have anything to say about the lot pro? Good or bad?

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I haven't used a Lot Pro personally, but they look very well designed from what I have seen. The ribbing is a much better design than the meyer plows of old, the cutting edge has a nice attack angle, etc.

If you are looking to modify the moldboard on your current setup and you have some fab skills, you might be better off getting an older western unimount blade, and mount it to your a frame. You'd probably save a bunch of money, and the blade would be superior to what you're running.

What were they wanting for the moldboard new?

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

How is a unimount in any way superior to a western blade?

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

A unimount is a western blade. Not sure what you mean. Do you mean superior to an old meyer blade? The ribbing is stiffer, isn't constructed of bent angle iron so you can't get paint between the ribs and the moldboard, scrapes better, slightly taller. (this is what I recall when comparing my unimount to my buddies 2003 meyer 8')

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You would still have to replace your current setup to switch to lot pro. I used a ST for a very long time with no major issues.

:confused: Unimount is a western.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I meant Meyer. Guy said to replace blade face with a western

Meyer offers a face lift program he wouldn't have to replace the setuo

12. Fourtrax250R

I will see what my local guy charges for a face lift.... and what he charges for a new pistol grip... when you purchase the pistol grip new, it comes with an adapter for the square plug harness.. its all plug and play! By the way, bunch of guys running Lot pros around here with no issues, its a premium straight blade, with a super aggressive attack angle and a 5 year warranty.

13. Fourtrax250R

14. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

tell me more about this "face lift" program. What's the main advantage besides keeping part of the current setup? Do they offer any kind of buyback/trade in for older blades & A frames or did they just figure out a way to weld the old style mounting brackets on newer A frames? This sounds appealing.

15. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

http://www.meyerproducts.com/faceliftprogram.aspx

Found some info for anyone else interested. Maybe I don't fully understand, but it doesn't seem like anything other than buying a new A frame & moldboard?? Sure, it might be half the cost, but you don't need to replace any wiring or the pump. Can anyone chime in on this?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yup. Angle rams are extra. You keep your mounting and hydraulics

Its not a bad deal for 2k if you like the e60. But 2k is a good chunk towards a new plow with an easier mounting system.

I love my st, but man I hate mounting it. Lol

17. Fourtrax250R

yes, you get the new moldboard, a frame, pivot bar, trip springs, hardware, etc. you keep basically everything truck side. your E-60 is more than capable to handle the Lot pro, and as long as the wiring was installed properly, protected by flex tube, and you kept/keep all connections clean and free of corrosion your wiring harness should last for years and years. oh, and you can transfer your P/A rams to the lot pro.

18. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

I cuss a lot when I mount mine, it's such a pain. The ST is simple enough, but it's only got 2 trip springs and it folds over way too easy on hard pack. I also tore up a rib last year and just replaced that a few weeks ago. I don't like how you can't get any paint behind those ribs. When I cut the old one out, the rust behind there was terrible. I feel like every time I use it it's going to break again.

Can't decide what I want to do, try to polish this system up or can the entire thing and get something totally different. Everything truck side is OK, and I paid a small fortune for the truck mount. I can get a pistol grip control easy enough and I found a few C-8's for sale on C-list but all of them need refurbished. But I think that'd be the cheapest option at this point. I'm also looking for a used dump truck with a plow on it already. I'd like to keep both trucks with the same plow setups so I can swap back and forth but that's proving to be pretty tough to do. Somebody just tell me what to do here, I was up most of last night thinking about this.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll keep the ST I currently have, get a C-8 and have two plows I can choose from depending what I'll be doing that day. All of my driveways are a total pita and the 7-6 barely makes some of the turns, and that's a small plow. If I do get the C8, I'll try it on all my drives and if it works, I'll just sell the ST or maybe turn it into a pusher for my tractor.

19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I can hook mine up in two minutes. Pull over top of plow hook chain up and raise it up a little to slide a frame into mount

20. Fourtrax250R

Moose... not sure why it takes ya so long to mount that St... its really easy using the technique whiffy described, never took more than 2-3 minutes or so. You also have to realize you have a REALLY old ST there... the later ST's had 3 trip springs which was changed somewhere in the early to mid 90's. being that yours has only 2, its most likely a plow from the 80's.... and has probably more than 20-25 years of service on it... That plow don't owe ya a penny.. lol. by the way, my dealer was offering a LP-8 face lift for 1600. The EZ classic truckside setup is a really solid design, and I don't see a reason to get rid of it if your truck is in good shape. Your much better off being patient, and finding a nice C-8 or C 7.5 or a newer ST 7.6 :cool: